Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - King
The king of
medURi siVA kUmAR
K.L.S INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT EDUCATION & RESEARCH. BELGAUM
“Drinking beer will not reduce your sorrow neither drinking milk
so lets ‘cheers’ to beer”
1857 - mR. ThomAs LeishmAn foRmed UniTed BReweRies
1947 - mR. ViTTAL mALLYA BecAme The fiRsT chAiRmAn
of indiAn oRigin.
1974 - inTeRnATionAL BeeR exPoRTs BegAn To Aden
And middLe eAsT.
1983 - dR. VijAY mALLYA BecAme The chAiRmAn of The
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
“Alcohol may be man's
worst enemy, but the
bible says love your
• UB Group
• The UB Group, is the market leader
• The Group has a huge turnover
• Swimsuit Calendar.
• Won more than 6 International Awards
About the company
• 50% market share nationally.
• Sold in over 52 countries and also on international flights.
• Every third beer sold in India is Kingfisher.
• India’s 1st global consumer brand – Kingfisher.
• 54% market share in the domestic market.
largest player in the world.
About the company
As A Brand
•Lager: It is stored for a specified period before being
bottled or canned.
• Pilsner: A type of lager beer, it is light with 3.0 - 3.8%
alcohol and has a medium hp flavor.
• Ale: Top fermented, this kind of beer has distinct hop
aroma. The alcohol content is around 4 - 5%.
•Stout: Dark with burnt flavor and strong malt aroma; it is
heavily hopped and contains 5 - 6.5% alcohol.
• Porter: This is less dark than stout, even less hopped and is
somewhat sweet. Alcohol content is around 5%.
• Creamy Ale: A highly carbonated beer that is produced by
a combination of Ale and lager.
• Malt: A strong flavored, high alcohol content beer that
ranges in flavor and colors.
Market Share & Growth
BEER MARKET SHARE In INDIA
SAB Miller 36%
COBRA 9% Others 5%
KINGFISHER BRAND MARKET SHARE
SAB Miller 36%
COBRA 9%Others 5%
1985 1990 1995 1997 1999 2000 2001 2003 2005 2006
KINGFISHER BRAND GROWTH (BEER)
Presently distributing brands of Beer in India.
1. SAB Miller : Haywards, Royal Challenge, Knock Out, Foster
2. Anheuser-Busch : Budweiser
3. Carlsberg (South Asian Breweries)
4. Heineken (Asia Pacific Breweries)
5. Castle Lager
3 P’s Of Marketing
• No.1 selling product in its segment.
• Good quality raw material is used to maintain the
• Consistency of product quality is high.
• Always tastes fresh due to good quality and well
developed distribution network.
• In both mild and strong beer segments kingfisher uses
competitive pricing strategy.
• It is available throughout India, and is dominant
particularly in south and west India.
• UB has 16 company owned breweries apart
from 9 contract breweries in 20 different location
across the country.
• Kingfisher also has a presence in 60 countries.
• It has some sixteen hundred shops apart from
pubs and bars. Better retailing outlets are also to
be opened under the Kingfisher Brand.
STP for Kingfishers Beer
• Geographic segmentation: It is available through out
India and is dominant in particularly in south and
• Demographic Segmentation- Age basis
Youth: 16 to 25yrs. (kingfisher mild)
Adults: 25yrs & above (kingfisher strong)
• Segmentation based on Situation:
Birthdays, Anniversary, New year parties etc.
“Alcohol is the cause and the solution to many of life's problems.”
• Kingfisher has 2 different products for different
“Friends don't let friends drink Light Beer”
• Kingfisher positioned itself as a brand for successful
& professional individuals who are always ready to
take a break, party or just chill out.
• It has positioned itself as “The King of good times”.
Worldwide known Brand
Oldest & Largest Player In India
Huge Finances backing from UB Group
Strongest Worldwide Distribution System.
Different Brands under Same Company
High Concentration on Strong Beer Market
Beer consumption is increasing
Reduction in Taxes
Brand Extension Benefits
High Taxes & Regulations
Prohibition on Advertising
Indian Culture is a Major Hindrance
Many International Player Entering In India
Statutory warning: Consuming alcoholic drinks is injurious to health.