National Science Day-2014 by Santosh Takale
National Science Day-2014 by Santosh Takale
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - National Science Day-2014 by Santosh Takale
Ph – 9967584554 / 9920388928
What is NSD ?
What is Raman Effect ?
What are the applications of ‘Raman Effect’ ?
Technique gives or can generate Fingerprint of Universe.
Raman Spectroscopy – Material Analysis.
Raman Scanners to diagnose diseased cell, organ etc.
Detection of explosives.
Detection of drugs such as steroids, cocaine etc.
NDE for chemical analysis.
Force constant & Bond length.
Gas analyzer for anesthesia.
In Year 2013, ‘Raman Effect’ designated as International Chemical Landmark
by American Chemical Society.
• National Science Day is being celebrated every year to widely spread a message
about the significance of scientific applications in the daily life of the people.
• To display all the activities, efforts and achievements in the field of science
for human welfare.
• To discuss all the issues and implement new technologies for the development of
• To give an opportunity to the scientific minded citizens in the country.
• To encourage the people as well as popularize the Science and Technology.
• The objective is to make every citizen develop the attitude of questioning and
Year 1999 : “Our Changing Earth”.
Year 2000 : “Recreating Interest in Basic Science”.
Year 2001 : “Information Technology for Science Education”.
Year 2002 : “Wealth from Waste”.
Year 2003 : “50 years of DNA & 25 years of IVF - The blue print of Life”.
(Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid & In vitro Fertilization)
Year 2004 : “Encouraging Scientific Awareness in Community”.
Year 2005 : “Celebrating Physics”.
Year 2006 : “Nurture Nature for our future”.
Year 2007 : “More Crop Per Drop”.
Year 2008 : “Understanding the Planet Earth”.
Year 2009 : “Expanding Horizons of Science”.
Year 2010 : “Gender Equity, Science & Tech for Sustainable Develop”.
Year 2011 : “Chemistry in Daily Life”.
Year 2012 : “Clean Energy Options and Nuclear Safety”.
Year 2013 : “Genetically Modified Crops and Food Security”.
The theme of the Year 2014 is …..
“ Fostering Scientific Temper ”
• The attitude of questioning and reasoning.
• It’s approach of Believing, only facts supported by relevant evidences. Where
these evidences are derived from observation, Logical interpretation and
Conclusion made from experiment or experience which is repeatable under
• Believing things to the extent of evidence availability.
• Scientific Temper is a true path finder & guide for our life.
• It’s not only complex scientific methodology but it’s built on solid base of
humility, freedom, courage, fearlessness & humanity.
• It’s thought process which believes Universe runs on it’s own by natural laws.
• Scientific Temper will lead to develop, attitude of questioning and
reasoning in every citizen, such attitude will boost countries techno-social
• Scientific Temper made human understand :
•--- There is reason behind every happening.
•--- This reason can be understood by Human.
•--- The efficiency of approach & availability of right resources will decide time,
completeness & correctness of explanation.
•--- This is the surest way to obtain the correct explanation for unknown
• Central Government Act - Article 51A in The Constitution Of India 1949.
FUNDAMENTAL DUTIES ……. (h) to develop the scientific temper,
humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform;
• Value education which is core of Indian education system also have
Scientific temper as one of its main constituent.
Science, Religion, Society
Science v/s Religion
• Sanitation / Cleanliness / Fighting Disease / Health / Longevity.
• Food Production & distribution / Communication.
• Industrialization / new materials / Technology / Appliances.
• Understanding of our presence / Real sense of our presence & values
like equality, universal brotherhood, Conservation of Nature.
• World peace and safeguarding human civilization – individual and
• Education / Science based Education.
• Every individual needs to understand & try to develop this attitude as a
• Think, about Scientific Temper, Speak & implement. The same.
On mass scale following is normally done;
--- Science Exhibitions.
--- Essay & Elocution on Science, inventions, Scientist etc.
--- Poster competition.
• Additionally this needs to be done;
--- Arranging Reformative talks / Science Lectures (Audio/Visual).
--- Forming Science Clubs / HAM groups.
--- Establishing more number of Science centers.
--- Arranging visits to nearby Science centers & Industries.
--- Ensuring availability of Science books viz. science made easy, experimental science.
--- Science shows & Demonstrations (Science toys by Dr Arvind Gupta).
--- Providing activity kits.
-- Astronomy workshop & Sky observation programs along with Que/Ans Session.
--- Organizing programs which will bring people closer to NATURE, viz. visits to Nature park,
--- Birds/Animal sanctuaries, Snake parks etc.
--- Snakes Shows / Birds-Butterflies watching visits.
This will not only help to inculcate scientific temperament but will also contribute to eradication of all
myths & superstations in general publics mind & will lead to conservation of Nature /mother Earth.
Message on National Science
Day - 2014
• Respect & Fulfill Constitutional duty by inculcating Scientific Temper.
• Remember Scientific Temper is temper of freeman & surest way to
• Banish religious rituals from your life as they lead to waste of natural
resources, precious time & money too.
• Eradicate all Superstition, for benefit of self, society, nation & mankind.
It is science alone that can solve the problems of
hunger and poverty, of insanitation and illiteracy, of
superstitions and deadening customs and vast
resources running to waste, of a rich country
inhabited by starving people……… who indeed can
afford to ignore science today ? At every turn we have
to seek its aid…………. Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru.
Our Contact :
Scientific Officer, BARC.
Ph- 9967584554 / 9920388928.