Nafs philosphy of islam
A brief study of concept of NAFS according to Quran and Science.
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Nafs philosphy of islam
•What is Nafs?
•Comparison with Freud’s theory.
•Explanation of Nafs, Qulb and Rooh.
•Protection of Nafs.
•Jihad of Nafs.
Mohammad Ali Jinnah University
So the Nafs (self) of the other (latter one) encouraged him and
made fair-seeming to him the murder of his brother; he
murdered him and became one of the losers.
( المائدة سورة, Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #30)
"As for whoever exceeded the limits and preferred the
life of this world,
surely his abode will be the Fire;
and as for whoever feared to stand before his Lord and
restrained the desires of his self,
surely his abode will be the Garden."
(Surat An-Nāzi`āt (Those who drag forth) 39-40
• Types of Nafs as mentioned in the Quran.
The Qur’an speaks of three general levels of
1. ‟commands to evil” (12:53),Surah Yosuf
2. the‟nafs that blames” itself (75:2), Surah
3. and the‟nafs at peace with itself”
Nafs e Ammara ( Commanding Soul )
• It incites towards wrong desires.
Nafs e Lawamma ( Blaming Soul )
Nafs Mutma’inna ( Soul at peace )
• Surah Fajr
• Id – Nafs
Emotions, basic instincts
• Ego- Qulb
Reality based, consciousness
• Super Ego – Rooh
Inciting towards right
A state of super consciousness
Ego – Qulb - consciousness
• "And obey not him whose heart we have made
heedless of Our Remembrance, who followed
his own lust."
Holy Quran (18:28)
• "Lo! therein verily is a reminder for him who
hath a heart”
-the Holy Quran (50:37)
Super Ego- Rooh – Super conscious
How to master your Nafs ?
• In the light of the holy Quran .
1. Concentrate on your deeds taking care of your
own souls. 5:105
2. Keeping promise, guarding pledges and
fulfilling covenants ( 5:1, 13:20 , 17:34 )
3. Be foremost in every good work. ( 2:148,
23:60 and 23:61)
4. Always speak the truth.
5. Keeping away from bad company. 25:63
6. Do not obey anyone who swears often. 68:10
7. Do not rely upon the report of a liar or
scoundrel. (49:6 )
8. Insult not those whom idolaters worship 6:108
9. Do not disregard anyone's greetings word of
10. No righteous deeds of believers go
Mastering of Self – Historic practices
• Meditation – The word meditation carries different
meanings in different contexts. Meditation has been
practiced since antiquity as a component of
numerous religious traditions and beliefs.
Meditation often involves an internal effort to self-
regulate the mind in some way. Meditation is often
used to clear the mind and ease many health issues
Buddhist monks involve awareness in their day-to-
day activities as a form of mind-training. Prayer
beads or other ritual objects are commonly used
during meditation in order to keep track of or
remind the practitioner about some aspect of the
• While pointing out to the similarities
between ablution and the science of
Chinese reflexology in his fascinating
article, Dr. Magomedov also states the
main different points. To become a doctor
in reflexology, he says, one has to take a
15 to 20 year course of study,
incomparable with the simple learning
techniques of ablution.
The Preventive and Healing Wonders of Wudu
Jihad an-nafs (jihad against one’s self)
• Jihad an-nafs (jihad against one’s self) is of four
1. Striving to learn the teachings of Islam without
which one cannot attain success and happiness in
this world or in the Hereafter.
2. Striving to make oneself act in accordance with
what one has learned.
3. Striving to call others to Islam, teaching those who
do not know about it.
4. Striving to bear patiently the difficulties involved
in calling people to Allah and the insults of people,
bearing all that for the sake of Allah.
• If a person achieves all these four levels, then he
will be one of the rabbaniyyin (learned men of
religion who practice what they know and also
preach to others. [see Al `Imran: 79]
• Once this state is achieved a person is able to
perform Jihad in the way of ALLAH.
• Example : Sahaba.
• Explore the world. Find your Rab.
"The most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could
only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and
powerful Being.“ Isaac Newton.
• Learn, Act and then ask others to join.
• Follow the tips to control your daily life.
• Always remember that it is ALLAH only who