Mitigational measures for Mines
Impact and Mitigational Measures for Operational Mines
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Mitigational measures for Mines
Impact and Mitigation Measures
in Operational Mines
Sachin Kumar Sinha
Air Pollution Control through:
• Dust suppression system
• Wet drilling
• Dust extraction and filtration system during
• Dry fog system and Atomized water spray in
• Dust encapsulation system conveyors
• Regular monitoring of ambient air, emissions
from vehicle and other machineries.
• Optimum charge of explosives
• Construction of pucca haul roads
• Water Sprinklers- Sprinkling of water by fixed
sprinkling post on permanent roads
• Sprinkling of water on other haul roads &
transport roads and loading/unloading and
• Development of green belt including low
height shrubs to arrest dust on the haul
Noise Pollution control through:
• Providing ear plug/muffs to workers.
• Audiometric test of workers annually.
• Monitoring of noise level around working areas
• Acoustic enclosure for DG and other machineries
• Green belt development during the construction
& development period around infrastructure &
• Relocation of the population during
• No habitation within 1-2 km of the mine.
Water Pollution control through:
• Comprehensive water management plan
• Construction of proper storm drains & settling
• Maintanance of drain line
• Rain water harvesting structure
• Effluent & Sewage treatment plant
• Retaining walls, garland drain and siltation
ponds to prevent washing-off of OB
• Regular monitoring of water & waste water
• Early stabilization of external dumps.
• Construction of garland drains and toe walls
while starting the external dumping.
• Construction of garland drains around surface
edge of quarry.
• Construction of bunds in the garland drains to
catch & retain silt & fines from dumps.
• Construction of storm water drains around
CHP, coal stock yard, workshop etc.
• Settling pits in ETP and bunds in drains shall
be regularly desilted.
• The embankment against nala shall be stone
pitched specially on nalla side and stabilized
with grass on in bye side.
• Proper design of benches, roads and dumps as
• Strict implementation of all statuary provisions
while working in different parts of mines.
• Module wise Training to all workers as per
• Functioning of A Safety Committee.
• Implementation of Risk Management Process .
• Provision of all type of safety & protective
equipment & ensuring their proper use.
• Fire Fighting & Fire Retardants near all
equipment & other necessary places like Crusher
plant, Stores, Workshop etc.
• Mock Drills for testing preparedness in case of a
demanding emergency situation.
• All workers and operators are checked for any traces of
intoxication before being allowed to work.
• Checking of driving license and fitness of all vehicles
before allowed entering into mines.
• Checking the road worthiness of all vehicles entering
into the mines.
• Ensuring proper maintenance of all Vehicles and
• Provision of proper maintenance shade for safe
• Energy isolation during maintenance, cleaning &
lubrication of moving parts.
• Proper Earthing for all electrical equipments & regular
testing of the effectiveness , Lightening Arrestors
wherever deemed necessary.
• Speed Limits for all moving vehicles.
• Signboards , Safety Boards , Caution Signs at all
important locations & Instruction Boards near crucial
• Initial & Periodic Medical Examination of all
workers as per statute.
• In addition arrangement of periodic health
camp in mines.
• Provision of well equipped accommodations
including canteen facility, drinking water
through R.O system & recreation facilities.
• Provision of Ambulance of all staffs &
• Water sprinkling & dry fog arrangement to
stop generation & propagation of dust.
• Periodic scientific monitoring of vibration ,
noise, air & water within the parameters.