Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Prez 1984
1984 George Orwell
About the author...
- real name Eric Blair, pseudonym George Orwell
- born in India (1903-1950)
- won scholarship to Eton (didn’t go to university)
- served as a police officer in India
- fought in Spanish Civil War
- was against British Imperialism
- a writer for BBC during WWII
- strongly opossed Stallin and H.
- democratic socialist
- wrote 9 major books and 700 essays/articles
“Those who control the past, control the future...”
“From the totalitarian point of view, history is something to be
created rather than learned.”
Aboutthe book(1984): SETTING AND GENRE:
- futuristic novel, dystopia, SF
- published in 1949
- setting: London (Oceania)
- totalitarian state controls every aspect of life
- perceived leader and dictator: BIG BROTHER
- The Party – a group rulling the coutry
- Oceania, Eurasia, Eastasia (constantly in war with each other)
- inspiration: totalitarian states of Nazi Germany under Adolf Hitler (1933-45)
and the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin (1924-53)
Posters of BB’s face appear everywhere in public and
bear the message:
1984: Major Characters
Winston Smith: low-ranking member of the rulling Party. He
works at the Ministry of Truth.
Julia: Winston’s 20-year-old lover. She loves sex which is against Big
Brother laws. She works at the Ministry of Love.
The Party: ruling caste of Oceania.
Big Brother: perceived ruller of Oceania. He is a combination of
Hitler and Stalin.
O’Brien: a mysterious and sophisticated member of Inner Party who
Winston believes is a member of The Brotherhood- a secret
underground group of Anti-Party rebels.
“Despotic governments can stand 'moral force' till the cows
come home; what they fear is physical force.”
― George Orwell
Winston and Julia
- they fell in love with each other
- both hated the Party and wanted
to “escape” from totalitarian
society in which they lived
- together began to rebel against
the Party in secret
- their suspicious thougths were
discovered and they were
subjected to a severe torture and
- In the end they recognized that
they “defeated themselves. They
love Big Brother.”Are individuals able to change sth in
Totalitarianism vs revolutionaries
Big Brother saw you!!! ;)
Julia in warries...Winston and
Torture chamber (101 Room)
CIVIL GOVERNMENT IN 1984
The Ministry ofTruth
The Ministry of Peace
The Ministry of Love
The Ministry of Plenty
- purpose: to rewrite history and change the facts to
fit Party doctrine.
- responsible for provoking wars
- ministry of torture, fear, repressivenesss,
- overseas public access to goods, food and supplies.
Key “Orwellian” Terms
Slogans – sayings that convey populist messages
Newspeak – the language spoken in Oceania
Doublethink – the act of holding two contradictory believes
Thought Crime – illegal thoughts
Thought Police – organization that monitors citizens
Junior Anti-Sex League – fanatical group against sex as a pleasure
Yunior League – indoctrination of the youth (child spies)
- to convince large numbers of people
about the authenticity of given ideas
- delivers messages to produce emotional
rather than rational response
- misuse: fear, statements of prejudice, black
and white fallacies etc...
Propaganda: Demonization of Enemies
“Bush is an obstacle in
securing peace in
Bashar al- Assad
Doublethink & DoublespeakToday
America's Interests (Newspeak) Justification
for foreign interventions on the grounds that 'national
defense' includes 'defense' of the farthest reaches of
United Nations (Doublethink) A warring
faction of dissolved nations.
War Hero (newspeak) One who kills another, for no reason other than he was
told to do so by a third party.
smart devices (newspeak) Devices smart enough to spy on you for the
government or special interests.
Arab Spring (doublethink) A mass protest for liberation
by many Arab countries, that was used by the U.S. and U.N. for
regime changes all across the Arab world.
Free Elections (newspeak) Elections held with the
appearance of choice. Even though there are only 2
"A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person.You earn reputation by trying to do
hard things well.“ Jeff Bezos
"The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not
interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in
power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness; only
power, pure power....We are different from all the oligarchies
of the past in that we know what we are doing....
Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a
dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes
the revolution in order to establish the
dictatorship....” (1984, p. 217)
Cell phones, laptops, Facebook, Skype, chat-rooms: all allow the
NSA to build what it calls ‘a pattern of life’, a detailed profile of a
target and anyone associated with them.