Polly McDaniel resume
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Polly McDaniel resume
9124 Twilight Hill Court, Charlotte, NC 28277 828.231.0436│ │email@example.com
Project Management Multimedia Communications│ │
Skills in communications project management, driving web traffic and social media customer engagement. Proven
experience in editorial leadership, communications strategy, website and app launch, managing web content, SEO
practices, digital analytics, print publications and workplace culture change. Award-winning page designer.
• Write, edit, copy edit, proofread
• Digital metrics, including Google Analytics,
Chartbeat and Omniture/Site Calatyst
• Web content management
• Project, publication management
• Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint
• HootSuite, Tweetdeck, Spredfast social channel
• Publication prototyping
• SharePoint training experience
• Photo gallery creation
• Mac and PC
• Working knowledge of HTML, CSS, FTP
• Seed native marketing content on social
The Asheville Citizen-Times 1998-2014 Asheville, NC│ │
Part of the Gannett, the largest newspaper chain in the country, with USA TODAY as its flagship paper.
Promoted six times. Began as copy/design editor; features design lead; Features Editor in 2001; Features and Specialty
Publications Editor in 2007, Multimedia News Editor in 2009, Content Development in 2012. Manager of the Year, 2006.
Deputy Managing Editor/Operations, 2013-14:
• Led transition of existing website to launch of new desktop site, mobile and tablet apps.
• Trained editorial team to use new (Presto) content management system with launch.
• Led web production and social media initiatives, ensuring SEO, inclusion of videos, photo galleries and related
hyperlinks for rich end-user experience. Scheduled/managed posts on Spredfast, Tweetdeck and Hootsuite.
• Tracked digital analytics using Omniture and Chartbeat, directed adjustments to web content in response.
• Directed web/copy team and its interface with print page production at off-site hub.
• Supervised Photo Editor, Sports Editor, Scene Editor and clerical staff, making sure deadlines, deliverables met.
Content Development/Planning Editor, 2012:
• Led product launch, including Asheville Scene cultural/culinary magazine, AshevilleScene.com and Asheville
Scene mobile app. Liason between development, creative and editing teams to ensure successful launch.
• Continued in multimedia editor role during this time as well.
• Corporate video goal was set at 740,983 views in 2013. Exceeded goal, with 1.2 million views.
Multimedia News Editor, 2009:
• Led multimedia news initiatives to keep a dynamic web site focused on “what’s happening now” with breaking
news, including streaming live video reports from news scenes.
• Lead change agent, driving training of print journalists to digital delivery team.
• Dramatically increased page views, with a 93% gain in web traffic in 2009 over 2008. And a 157% gain in traffic in
2010 over 2009 by content creation and social media initiatives.
Features/Specialty Publications Editor, 2001-2009:
• Launched Home of the Week initiative (with photo gallery, driving traffic significantly to the website).
• Pioneered coverage of Asheville’s farm-to-table movement.
• Increased local arts coverage, including launch of comprehensive seasonal guide in an arts-centric market.
• Edited Blue Mountain Living, a lifestyle and fashion magazine.
Features Page Designer/Copy Editor, 1998-2001
The Gaston Gazette 1991-1998 Gastonia, NC│ │
Assistant Features Editor
• Started as Night City Editor; two years later assumed Assistant Features Editor position.
• Wrote and edited sections, including page design.
Image Communications 1990-1991 Charlotte, NC│ │
Public Relations Publications
• Wrote and edited visitor guides, business guides for client chambers of commerce.
• Bachelors of Arts/Journalism, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Ga. Minor: speech.
• Web fundamentals and web markup/scripting, A-B Tech Community College, 2011-12.
• Web design/HTML, A-B Tech Community College, continuing ed course, January-March 2008.
• DreamWeaver web design, A-B Tech Community College, continuing ed course, April-May 2008.
Writing and design samples available upon request.