Pompey’s pillar and the custer battlefield, mt
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Pompey’s pillar and the custer battlefield, mt
POMPEY’S PILLAR AND THE
CUSTER BATTLEFIELD, MT.
© August 2008, Peter Faris
Captain Clark named the pillar
"Pompey’s Tower" in honor of
Sacagawea's son Jean Baptiste
Charbonneau, whom he had
nicknamed "Pomp." Nicholas
Biddle, first editor of Lewis and
Clark's journals, changed the
name to "Pompey’s Pillar."
“Wm. Clark, July 25, 1806” inscription.
Yellowstone river from the top of Pompey’s Pillar.
Pirogues at Pompey’s Pillar.
Little Bighorn Battlefield, 7th
• 220 soldiers, scouts and
civilians were buried here.
• In 1877 the officers were
disinterred and taken for
reburial at other sites,
Custer was reburied at
show where the
found after the
The east slope of Last Stand Hill.
“Peace through Unity”, Native
American Memorial – 75 yards northeast
of the 7th
• More than 100 Native American men, women, and
children were killed during the battle.
Some of the deaths of Native Americans
are also noted on markers.
View north from the ridge between Last Stand
Hill and Reno Hill
Bighorn river and valley bottom from Reno Hill.