Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Slideshowlundeen
Gil, French grad student needs a way to
learn about jobs in healthcare informatics
because he has questions about jobs &
Start with the obvious
• Contact IT staff at local hospitals for job descriptions to
review for IT skills needed
• Medical Records
Contact People in your school
• Faculty of your university
• Business school
• Science faculty
• Law faculty
• Other students
Contact Professional Associations
• Health Information Management Systems Society
• American Health Information Management Society
• French professional associations
• Identify professional members and contact officers.
• Ask if there are student rates for annual meetings.
Think broader for Contacts
• Seattle Region 10 of Health and Humans Services (HHS)
• French government Health Policy Offices
• Student members of Professional Organizations
• Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
• American Health Information Management Society (AHIMS)
• Strategic Planning firms
Create a job
• Talk to owners of business operations that exploit
• Incubator labs for new businesses
• Venture Capital groups
• Data mining and analysis operations
• Consultant for hire (create your own job)
What would a 5 year old do?
• Go onto YouTube and search monster trucks, I.T. and
• Ask Mommy how to find jobs
Ideas if money no object
• Register for annual meeting of professional organizations
for healthcare informatics. (USA, Canada, France) Stay at
convention hotels and talk in depth to at least 5 people
• Take additional courses that will broaden your skill set.
• Register for masters degree.
• Travel to France and research healthcare informatics jobs
in at least 3 cities.
If there is no money
• Search for a unpaid internship
• Ask to observe a specific project that you have required
• Ask all professionals you meet how they got their first job.
• Ask them what they see as an ideal job for themselves
Imagine jobs that are funny or scary
• Sing for an audition on films being developed to support
new members of CCO
Imagine jobs that are huge or tiny
• Offer to do technology reference checks for applicants for
all jobs in new Coordinating Care Organizations in your
• Find fastest growing coordinating care subset and offer to
do anything technology related.