Nairobi Muslim Academy
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Nairobi Muslim Academy
Omar Ahmed Salim
The Nairobi Muslim Academy
• Y- Yearn in Future
• O- Opportunity in Making a Choice
• U- Unleash your potential who you truly are
• T- Time for better days
• H- Work hard forming good Habits
Life is Now, not Yesterday. Life can’t be Tomorrow
What matters is what You become
Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly (POOR)
• What you do is not about you but is about those who have
sacrificed apart of them for you to have those opportunities.
• Opportunities come when you least expect them. It doesn’t
come at your time but its time.
• Give your self the opportunity and time, work for it and you’ll
• With hard work it will be yours.
• There is competition in everything in this world
• In competition there are people who are smatter than
• Be a quick learner and adopt quickly
• When your competitors undermine you show them
how wonderful you can be.
• Eyes that look are very common but eyes that see are rare.
• It’s not about the uniform, school, size of your family’s wallet
or the size of your head but your attitude.
• Negative people will influence you negatively while positive
• You are where you are because of your attitude.
• Avoid executive disease (you think you’ve arrived).
How to change attitude
• Saturate your self with positive tips and information.
• Be friends with positive thinkers.
• Confess what you want as you’ll possess them.
• If you don’t sow you wont reap.
• When you grow weeds also grow with you.
• Worry about the things you can do something about.
How to change cont…
• Things you have control over includes but not limited
to friends, personal growth and most importantly your
• Don’t see what you are but what you’ll become and
work for it.
• Read wide variety of knowledge but avoid fictions.
• With good attitude just set your mind on anything and
you’ll get it
• It is what you have aligned to do daily.
• It s course greater than your self.
• It shows you the way.
• It is what is going to make you work.
• One should not only say the vision but also write it.
• Make your vision very clear and live it.
• 3 s, 2 c, 1 u, 1 e
• U – you
• E – enthusiasm
• 2 c – Co creator
• 3 s – start, sustain, steps
• In success everyone wants to identify themselves with you because
you represent their hopes.
• The more successful you want to be the more you must work in the
• D – Decide (are you in or out, forward or backward)
• D – Design (we start afresh dig the channel)
• D – Do (if you don’t take action then my coming is in vain)
• I can assure you that you will fail but always remember that
fail means F-irst
• Failing is not important what is important is that, do you
start again, raise again and start again and walk
• If you want it you’ll get it
• If you believe it you’ll get it
• If you work for it you’ll get it
• D. G. U.
• And do it again.
• Learning is like self employment
• Attitude changing times are not easy
• They are not comfortable either
• The trick is stay focused
• It is up to you to stay on or quit (but know that in staying you’ll
• We spend so much time and money in doing things that are of no
value to us
• Know where you come from because they are your roots.
• It should give you the drive of where you wishes to go.
• It is not where you come from that matters but where you
• It’s not what people say or think you are but who you want
• Give your self a target and say “ this is where I’m going and
I’m going to there.
A Message for Students
You are in a tough situation, but thank Allah
that you have parents who brought you in this
Islamic environment whereas others are in
need of this chance .Everything taught here is
beneficial now and the hereafter.
A Message for Students
Ibn al-Qayyim- rahimahullaah- said:
There are six stages to knowledge:
Firstly: Asking questions in a good manner.
Secondly: Remaining quiet and listening attentively.
Thirdly: Understanding well.
Sixthly- and it is its fruit: Acting upon the knowledge and
keeping to its limits.
Renew your intentions that you are studying
for the sake of Allah
Allah says time and time again how
important knowledge is in Islam. So concentrate
seriously to succeed. Even when you come out of your
house you should have the intention that you are going
to gain knowledge. So that if you die before reaching
school, you have died for the sake of Allah. There are
hadiths that say when you go to school with the
intention to learn for the sake of Allah, Allah will make
the path easy for you and the angels will be with you.
Don’t listen to those who want you to fail
Look at them during the exams, they will either be
cheating or staring at the page. Don’t be like those who
go to school everyday but don’t learn anything. Even
when cheating, a person is writing blindly without
understanding anything. They haven’t gained a thing!
The Prophet(peace and blessings be upon him) said,
whoever has cheated is not from us. Imagine that!
Work hard! Don’t just study for the sake of it; I want
you to be from the top students!
Respect your teachers
It is seen as “cool” to be rude to your teachers. But the
Prophet(peace and blessings be upon him) said those
who disrespect those who teach us are not from us. We
have to respect those who are passing knowledge onto
us. They are giving you knowledge, so you have to
respect them, not be rude to them , or make them go
crazy. Imagine if you became a teacher after that?
Would you like to someone to do that to you? Respect
people so they can respect you.
You have to respect your school
Don’t vandalize it, why do you not keep the
school in good condition for those who will come
after you? Imagine if someone came to your
house and started writing things on your table,
would you like that? So don’t do the same at
school. The Prophet(peace and blessings be upon
him) said, don’t damage things or harm people.
Go to class early
If you are late as a student, when you get a job what will you
do? You have to respect appointments. Prepare your things
the night before.
Be organized. Don’t throw everything on your room mate.
Be organized, so that you can find everything.
When you take off your clothes, hang your clothes in the
Be organized so that you can be an organized person.
Organization means you won’t waste your time looking for
Don’t rely on your private tutor
Concentrate with your teacher at school. Don’t be
quick to say to your father that you want a private
tutor because you don’t concentrate at school. If
you depended on yourself and concentrated at
school, you won’t need to spend unnecessary
money on a private tutor! Then you will get used
to being lazy, because you need someone to
Try to be presentable
Take bath ,Brush your hair, brush your teeth, cut
your nails. Keep your clothes neat and clean.
Always polish your shoes. Avoid concentrated
perfume that will cause Fitna to your classmates
or teachers.The Prophet(peace and blessings be
upon him) said, Allah loves beauty.
Make sure your speech is respectable
When you wake up, greet your friends nicely. You
should have an Islamic personality. Always be
positive person at school, and respect your
teachers, friends and the subordinate staff .Being
an active person at school will raise your dignity
among the peers.
Try to be an active student
Join groups at the school. Join the Islamic
association, debate , poetry club or the sports
club. Have interests and hobbies and develop
them. Don’t be inactive, as this is not from Islam
at all! Create awareness about current affairs in
the school newspaper or magazine .Teach your
friends how to recite and memorise Qur’an.
Choose your friends carefully
You will be going to their rooms when you want to study together
and they will be coming to your rooms. So if they have good
manners, they will respect your dormitory and the people in it,
they will be decent because they have good manners, and so will
you. So look at your friends and be careful that they are not of the
wrong type. A good friend will want you to succeed and not do
anything that will harm you. She won’t encourage you to go out
with boys. Give these sisters advice to help them to do good and
guide them to be better people. Allah will make you a person that
will enlighten others if you have the right intention.
Tips to help your memory improve
Before you study for your next exam, you might want
to use a few strategies to boost your memory of
important information. There are a number of tried
and tested techniques for improving memory. These
strategies have been established within cognitive
psychology literature and offer a number of great
ways to improve memory, enhance recall and increase
retention of information.
Focus your attention on the materials you are
Attention is one of the major components of
memory. In order for information to move from
short-term memory into long-term memory, you
need to actively attend to this information. Try to
study in a place free of distractions such as
television, music and other diversions.
Avoid cramming by establishing regular study
According to Bjork (2001), studying materials over
a number of session’s gives you the time you
need to adequately process the information.
Research has shown that students who study
regularly remember the material far better that
those did all of their studying in one marathon
Structure and organize the information you are
Researchers have found that information is
organized in memory in related clusters. You can
take advantage of this by structuring and
organizing the materials you are studying. Try
grouping similar concepts and terms together, or
make an outline of your notes and textbook
readings to help group related concepts.
Utilize mnemonic devices to remember
Mnemonic devices are a technique often used by
students to aid in recall. A mnemonic is simply a way
to remember information. For example, you might
associate a term you need to remember with a
common item that you are very familiar with. The
best mnemonics are those that utilize positive
imagery, humor or novelty. You might come up with a
rhyme, song or joke to help remember a specific
segment of information.
Elaborate and rehearse the information you
In order to recall information, you need to encode what
you are studying into long-term memory. One of the most
effective encoding techniques is known as elaborative
rehearsal. An example of this technique would be to read
the definition of a key term, study the definition of that
term and then read a more detailed description of what
that term means. After repeating this process a few times,
your recall of the information will be far better.
Relate new information to things you already
When you are studying unfamiliar material, take the
time to think about how this information relates to
things that you already know. By establishing
relationships between new ideas and previously
existing memories, you can dramatically increase the
likelihood of recalling the recently learned
Visualize concepts to improve memory and
Many people benefit greatly from visualizing the
information they study. Pay attention to the photographs,
charts and other graphics in your textbooks. If you do not
have visual cues to help, try creating your own. Draw
charts or figures in the margins of your notes or use
highlighters or pens in different colors to group related
ideas in your written study materials.
Teach new concepts to another person
Research suggests that reading materials out loud
significantly improves memory of the material.
Educators and psychologists have also discovered that
having students actually teach new concepts to
others enhances understanding and recall. You can
use this approach in your own studies by teaching
new concepts and information to a friend or study
Pay extra attention to difficult information
Have you ever noticed how it’s sometimes easier to remember
information at the beginning or end of a chapter? Researchers have
found that the position of information can play a role in recall, which is
known as the serial position effect. While recalling middle information
can be difficult, you can overcome this problem by spending extra time
rehearsing this information or try restructuring the information so it
will be easier to remember. When you come across an especially
difficult concept, devote some extra time to memorizing the
Vary your study routine
Another great way to increase your recall is to occasionally
change your study routine. If you are accustomed to studying in
one specific location, try moving to a different spot to study. If
you study in the evening, try to spend a few minutes each
morning reviewing the information you studied the previous
night. By adding an element of novelty to your study sessions,
you can increase the effectiveness of your efforts and
significantly improve your long-term recall.
S U C C E S S
May Allah help you and protect them from evil,