Political activism. A call to political action. Following the teachings of professor Larry Diamond
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Political communications1
Civil Society, a way to make politics.
- It is a non governmental organization
working to benefit society.
- Expresses the will of the people, the
Functions of Civil Society
1. Vertical accountability. Checking and correcting the
abuse of power.
2. Movilizing against an authoritarian rule.
3. Stimulating political and civil participation
“Civil society are large schools, where all members of the
community go to learn the general theory of association.”
What does Civil Society do?
1. Inculcate democratic norms, values, practices.
2. Articulate and represent interests.
3. Form horizontal relations
4. Generate social ties
5. Form new political leaders.
1. Vote monitoring
2. Counter corruption
3. Parliament watch, budget watch.
4. Local empowerment.
5. Democratic institutional reforms.
1. Educates people, disseminate ideas, information.
• Includes social media -> blogging organizations
• Resolve political, social, ethnic, religious conflicts.
• Promotes community development
• Strenghten the state in democratic terms.
Robert Putnam wrote:
Civil society generates: Norms, Trust and Networks that
Constructing what is called Social Capital.
Political Communication agents
Should endeavor in:
1. Control corruption.
2. Implement laws and rules impartially.
3. Generate public foods rather than private
4. Produce sustained economic development.
5. Mitigate social and economical inequality.
Communicators should form
Civil societies to protect and institute:
1. Democracy: Rule of the people.
2. Republicanism: Political institutions of
horizontal accountability and rule of law.
3. Liberalism: Protection of individual liberties.
4. Citizenship: Norms and structures of the civic
Why to participate in a Civil Society
Political participation bring trust and abidingness toward the law, public
And therefore economic prosperity.
Uncivil society may cause:
And a corruptive social spiral.
With the use of ICT’s it has never been so cheap to unite people in sharing
and collaborate with ideas.
• It is easy now to find those who share your interests and concerns and
work together, with ideas and visions.
• As Gandhi said: “Be the change you want to be”
• Like for example Yoanni Sanchez, in her blog Generation Y.
• Please prepare a report on this blog:
Be that change that we all need.