Native Mobile Platforms vs Phonegap – A Comparison
Before you decide on whether you should choose to build a Hybrid PhoneGap-based App or a native mobile App on platforms like Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc , let us put forth the pros and cons of both and make it easier for you to weigh them on equal footing.
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Native Mobile Platforms vs Phonegap – A Comparison
Native Mobile Platforms VS
PhoneGap – A Comparison
Adobe Marketing Cloud
300+ team with experience
in managing offshore,
established in Jan ’05
VC Funding in 2009 By
Part of Publicis Groupe
Hybris and Adobe CQ
centers of Excellence
Offices at Bangalore,
Gurgaon, Pune, Mumbai
Member of NASSCOM
Key Company Highlights
Google Cloud Platform
Outsourced Product Development
User Interface Design and User Experience Design
Performance Consulting Practices
Quality Assurance & Testing
Digital Marketing, CRM, Analytics (Omni-Channel)
Why the comparison?
Before you decide on whether you should choose to build a Hybrid PhoneGap-
based App or a native mobile App on platforms like Android, iOS, Windows
Phone, etc , let us put forth the pros and cons of both and make it easier for
you to weigh them on equal footing.
Native Applications – The Pros
• The capabilities of any native application are directly based upon the device
OS as they are developed using the APIs provided by the device OS itself.
• These applications can seamlessly use all possible features of the device.
• Programmers can easily control the level of user experience without
compromising on any other principal aspects of the application such as
performance, battery drain, etc.
• It is also easy to do code enhancements for these applications.
Native Applications – The Cons
• Native applications can be programmed only with the specific application
development language, such as objective-C for iOS and Java for Android,
that the device OS APIs support.
• The native application for each OS should be developed separately by high-
skilled programmers who are specialized in the respective application
• Along with investment on high-skilled programmers, programming native
applications for iOS also requires an additional investment on development-
infrastructure, because native applications for iOS can be developed only
using Mac machines.
• PhoneGap is a free and Open Source framework.
• It enables building hybrid applications which work on most of the renowned
mobile platforms such as Android, iOS, Blackberry, and Windows Phone.
• PhoneGap framework is used by several mobile application platforms such as
ViziApps, Worklight, Convertigo and appMobi as the backbone of their mobile
client development engine.
• Hybrid applications are those which partially behave like native applications and
partially like web-based applications.
• PhoneGap framework provides a container that abridges the native APIs to the
Phonegap – The Pros
• Web-based mobile applications that have minimal dependencies on the
native device capabilities could be developed using PhoneGap framework.
• Since development using PhoneGap framework could be done using
application can work cross-platform, the application development cost for
multiple mobile OSs is very less compared to the application development
in the native way.
Phonegap – The Cons
Although PhoneGap framework seems to provide great advantages on cost,
time and effort, with the current generation of release, it has some concerns
that need to be addressed.
• The container layer does not provide sufficient options for developers to
measure and optimize the application performance.
• PhoneGap framework is not optimized to build graphic intensive user
• Compared to iOS and Android, PhoneGap lacks strong document support
• Explore about our mobile offerings here.
• Here is an overview about Phonegap.
• Read about our PhoneGap capabilities here and here.
• Here you will find out the challenges faced by us on our Phonegap projects
and how we overcame them.
• Find out how we integrated SQLCipher with existing SQLite Plugin in
• Find out how we made hybrid apps look and behave like native apps here.
• How to get started with AngularJS on Phonegap? Find out here.
A Few Clients
India - Bangalore
The Estate, # 121,6th Floor,
Phone :+91 80 25594416
Neev Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. firstname.lastname@example.org
India - Pune
Office No. 4 & 5, 2nd floor, L-
Square, Plot No. 8, Sanghvi
Pune - 411007.
Phone :+91 20 64103338
For more info on our offerings, visit www.neevtech.com