Polydor records - Media Coursework
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Polydor records - Media Coursework
• A record label owned by Universal Music Group, headquartered in the
United Kingdom, where it operates as a frontline label.
• It is joined with UMG's American-based Interscope Geffen A&M label,
which distributes its releases in the United States. In turn, Polydor
distributes IGA releases in the UK.
• Various Genres
• Originated in Germany
• “Few labels can boast as long, prestigious and varied a musical history as
Polydor Records. From the 60s 'beat boom' onwards, through the eras of
progressive rock, disco and punk, the label has been in the vanguard of
every significant new musical development, while today the likes of the
Lady Gaga, HAIM, Ellie Goulding and Lana Del Rey maintain Polydor's
enviable cutting-edge reputation.” – Quote taken from their Website
• There is a variety of different Artists/ Bands from all different types of music
50 Cent, Agnetha, All American Rejects, Aloe Blacc, Azealia Banks, Bridgit Mendler, Bright Eyes, BROODS, Bryan
Adams, Carly Rae Jepsen, Cheryl Cole, Clare Maguire, Crystal Castles, Dada Life, Delphic, Demi Lovato, Dr Dre,
Duffy, Elbow, Ellie Goulding, Eminem, Enrique Iglesias, Eric Clapton, Far East Movement, Feist, Findlay, Frank
Turner, Gary Barlow, Gin Wigmore, Girls Aloud, Gosslimg, HAIM, Hudon Taylor, I See Monstas, Imagine Dragons,
James Blake, Jamie N Commons, Jamie Woon, Jason Donovan, Jetta, Joe Jonas, Joel Compass, K’Naan, Kasier
Cheifs, Kendrick Lemar, Kimberly Anne, Klaxons, La Roux, Lady Gaga, Lana Del Ray, Last Dinosaurs, Laura Welsh,
Lawson, LMFAO, Machine Gun Kelly, Madonna, Mark Owen, Maroon 5, Matthew Koma, Micheal Kiwanuka,
Mindless Behaviour, Modestep, Mutya Keisha Siobhan, Nelly Furtado, Nick Mulvey, Nicola Roberts, Nicole
Scherzinger, NIN, No Doubt, One Republic, Papa Roach, Phillip Phillips, Redlight, Rhye, Rise Against, Robin Thicke,
Romance, Ronan Keating, Rufus Wainwright, Sasha Keable, ScHoolboy Q, Seasick Steve, Selena Gomez, Sir Sly,
SkyFerriera, Skylar Grey, Snow Patrol, Sons & Lovers, Spector, Sugababes, Take That, The 1975, The Black Eyed
Peas, The Cure, The Maccabees, The Naked and Famous, The Pierces, The Rolling Stones, The Saturdays, Thirty
Seconds To Mars, Tv On The Radio, Van Halden, White Lies, Will.I.Am, Willy Mason, Yeah Yeah Yeah’s and Zedd.
• Is our main focus of research, as we are using her song, ‘Every Time
You Go’ for our coursework production.
• In most of her music videos, a lot of the focus is on her, the one that
will inspire us the most is ‘I Need Your Love’, as in this she follows a
similar narrative, with being in a relationship.
• She is unique within her videos to show her individuality.
• She rarely uses other characters in her videos, the sole focus is on her
and her voice, this is where our coursework music video will differ.
• Genre is often listed as Pop Rock, therefore she differs from Ellie
Goulding, she is also an American Star.
• However, in her recent videos it mainly focuses on just her singing, which
is similar to Ellie Goulding, but in 2012 when ‘Give Your Heart A Break’
was released she is involved in her narrative. When watching thia
video, I was similarities that were reflected in what we had already in
our music video. It has inspired us a lot more, as you can clearly see
there is a pattern of remembering the good times in a relationship,
which is what our lyrics are also representing. We liked he ideas of the
photos in frames, and may use this in ours due to the lyrics.
• A Hip Hop Rapper
• Most of his music is lyrical and tells a story, which is reflected in his
• He is often unique, as his videos are often elaborate in ways to create
humour, and interest, for example in ‘Without Me’ one of his earlier
songs him and Dr Dre who is also on the same label are seen as
Batman and Robin, they is always something going on h=in his
• Also in all of his videos, he is lip syncing, which is common with most
videos associated with artists on this label.
• The genres associated with this band are Melodic hardcore, punk
rock, hardcore punk
• In their videos it often shows them singing and playing their
instruments, which is a convention of their genre.
• There is often random things, such as a Bear on the bus to show they
are alternate and unique.
What we learned
In researching into Polydor Records, we found it supports a variety of artists and bands
of all different genres, ranging from well known artists such as Will.I.Am to more low
profile artists such as Jetta.
When looking at the female artists it was useful to see how each of them are unique in
what they wish to present. Their main focus is on the lipsycning and getting to know the
artist. Although in our Music Video we are also paying attention to the Lip Sycning, our
main focus is on the narrative, as we felt this is the way in which an up and coming
artist would do in their first video. This is further supported when looking at earlier
videos from artists such as Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez.
It is obvious when looking at other artists or bands from other genres, that there are
conventions in each of them that signify the messages they are trying to present, and
this is something we need to focus on if we want our preferred reading to be portrayed
to our target audience.