Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Nan Hu_Comm
Nan Hu, CFA
17754 Steading Road, Eden Prairie, MN 55347
• Over 9 years of experience in Risk Management, portfolio analysis, market analysis and financial
modeling across multiple asset classes with a primary focus on Commodity Markets and Trading
at a leading hedge fund with $7 billion assets under management
• Comprehensive understanding of derivatives including futures, swaps and options and their
pricing mechanisms and risk metrics
• In-depth knowledge across a broad range of commodity markets covering Grain & Oilseeds,
Softs, Livestock, Petroleum, Natural Gas, Coal, Metals and Freight
• Advanced skills in MSOffice, programming in VBA, SQL, Bloomberg, familiarity with R and
quick learning abilities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and a proven team worker
• Superior analytical and quantitative skills and problem solving abilities
• Experience in risk management of Emerging Market Fixed Income and Equities
• CFA Charter Holder
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Black River Asset Management, SEC Registered Investment Advisor Wholly Owned by Cargill Inc.
Senior Risk Analyst May 2006 – Present
• Closely work with risk manager in managing the risk of commodity-related trading business
covering Agriculture, Energy, Metals, and Agri/Energy equities with asset over $1.5 billion at
• Contributions to the business include performing in-depth quantitative and qualitative analysis in
many areas, evaluating market risk in various arrays across price volatility, liquidity, fund flow
and event risk, setting up internal limits and yearly risk budgeting, developing month/year end
performance review and in-depth trades’ statistics assessment.
• Actively involved in internal limits management via monitoring risk limits usage at all hierarchies
on the daily basis and proactively communicate with trading desk and management in the
(potential) event of limit breach.
• Develop and implement internal stress models at ongoing basis. This process involves analyzing
large historical price data set and identifying historical events to set up appropriate stress
scenarios with an up-down approach. Perform stress testing on the weekly basis and present.
• Contribute to the decision making process with regards to trading opportunities, market
evolutions/research, S&D changes, and risk management practice.
• Closely work with the individual portfolio manager in sizing positions, assessing
investment/trading opportunities, solving pricing issues, actively monitoring various
risks/exposures such as liquidity risk, counter party risk and FX exposure. Also perform in-depth
hedging analysis and making recommendations in using different tools to mitigate risk, and
facilitating trades/positions management.
• Play a key role in designing and implementing the internal enterprise data warehouse and trades
capture system; closely work with IT group in helping them understand commodity products and
risk metrics, providing ideas in designing commodity risk reporting capabilities and leading the
testing process in the implementation phase.
• Design and generate comprehensive risk and performance reports per investor requests.
• Create multiple excel-based tools utilizing VBA programs and SQL to make daily work more
efficient, flexible and accurate by reducing manual process.
New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX)
New York, NY Feb 2005 – Mar 2006
• Responsibilities included volatility analysis in margining process, performing daily price
settlements for all petroleum products (futures and swaps) and providing analysis in the new
trading product creation process.
• CFA Charter Holder Since 2010
• Master of Financial Engineering, Polytechnic University, NY 2004
• Bachelor of Polymer Chemistry, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China 1998
*Work Status: US Citizen