Naman BHEL seminar
seminar as per the training done
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Naman BHEL seminar
BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS
• Owned by Government of India.
Established in 1964. First plant was setup in Bhopal
• On 1 February 2013, it granted Maharatna status.
• India’s largest engineering & manufacturing company of its kind.
• Engaged in core sectors – Power, Transmission, Industry, Transportation,
Renewable energy, Oil & Gas & Defence.
• 7th Largest power equipment manufacturer in the world.
• Ranked 9th in most innovative company in the world by, Forbes in 2011.
• Placed 4th in Forbes Asia’s fabulous 50 list in 2010.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
A global engineering enterprise providing solutions for a better
Providing sustainable business solutions in the fields of Energy,
Industry & Infrastructure.
• TEAM WORK
1. Power transformer up to 400 KV class 250
2. Special transformer up to 180 KV.
3. ESP transformer. 95 KVp, 1400 mA.
4. Freight Loco transformer 3900 to 5400 KVA &
7350 KVA for 3 phase
5. ACEMU transformer up to 1000 KVA (1-phase)
1385 KVA (3 phase)
6. Dry type transformer up to 6300 KVA 33 KV class
7. Instrument transformer VT & CT up to 220 KV class
8. Diesel electric locomotives up to 2600 HP.
9. AC/DC locomotives 5000 HP
10. Over Head Equipment cum Test
Rail cum road vehicle
Dynamic track stabilizer
SECTIONS OF BHEL JHANSI
It is the preparation shop. There are different machines available to perform
different types of functions.
It is the preparation shop.
Here welding and grinding process of workpieces come from BAY-0 is done.
It is an assembly shop dealing with making different objects as per requirement.
Bay-3 is mainly divide in three sections:
1- Machine section The operations to form small components of power transformer is done.
2- Copper section
3- Tooling section In this section servicing of tool is done
This is winding section
It is core and punch section
Single phase traction transformer for AC locomotives is assembled in this section.
These transformers are used where there is frequent change in speed.
This is the insulation shaping shop.
In this section instrument transformer and ESP transformer are manufactured.
In this bay, power transformer are assembled. After taking different input from
different bays, assembly is done.
TRANSFORMER ENGINEERING (T.R.E.)
This section deals with the designing of all types of transformer.
This department analyses the changes taking place in the world and suggest
changes accordingly. This is very important because the product must not get
TRANSFORMER COMMERCIAL (T.R.C.)
The objective if the department is interaction with the customers. It brings out
There is central quality service department whose duty is to maintain quality &
satisfy customer needs. Each manufacturing department has a quality control
WORK, ENGINEERING AND SERVICES
This department looks after the commission and maintenance of all the
machinery used in the factory. It also has 3 two-stage
Introduction of CNC
US Air Force asks MIT to develop a "numerically controlled"
Prototype NC machine demonstrated (punched tape input)
CNC machines (computer used to link directly to controller)
DNC: external computer “drip feeds” control programmer
to machine tool controller
Block diagram of CNC Machine
How CNC Works
• Controlled by G and M codes.
• These are number values and co-ordinates.
• Each number or code is assigned to a particular
• Typed in manually to CAD by machine operators.
• G & M codes are automatically generated by the
Types of CNC machines
• Based on Motion Type:
Point-to-Point or Continuous path
• Based on Control Loops:
Open loop or Closed loop
• Based on Power Supply:
Electric or Hydraulic or Pneumatic
• Based on Positioning System
Incremental or Absolute
Open Loop vs. Closed Loop controls
• In oxy-fuel cutting, metal is heated to its kindling temperatue.
• A stream of oxygen is then trained on the metal, burning it into a metal oxide
that flows out of the kerf as slag.
• The cutting torch only heats the metal to start the process; further heat is
provided by the burning metal.
• The melting point of the iron oxide is around half that of the metal.
• The burn metal immediately turns to liquid iron oxide and flows away from
the cutting zone.
CNC Flame Cutting
• Provides a very efficient and accurate method for preparing component
shapes prior to fabricating a part.
• Individual component drawings in DXF format.
• These first imported into nesting software to generate an optimum layout
on the available raw material.
• The layout is then transferred to the CNC Flame Cutting machine
The process of laying out cutting patterns to minimize the raw material waste
It is done by proprietary nesting software
Materials Mild Steel, Low Carbon Steel
Max Job Length 14,000 mm
Max Job Width 3,000 mm
Max Job Thickness 150 mm
Min Job Thickness 5 mm
Max Job Weight 5,000 kg
0.5 mm over 5,000 mm, 1.0 mm over
Beveling Single Bevel upto 45 deg
Gas used: Oxy-acetylene
Material handled: mild steel
Cutting thickness: up to 220mm
Cutting speed: vary according to work piece thickness
Neutral Flame with Oxygen Cutting Stream
Metal Number cutting oxygen fuel gas speed KERF
Thickness orifice(kg/cm2) bar(kg/cm2) mm/min width(mm)
6 0 68 0.2-0.3 430-610 1.3
16 0 60 0.2-0.4 410-560 1.5
25 1 56 0.2-0.4 360-460 2
51 2 53 0.3-0.6 300-450 2.3
76 3 51 0.3-0.6 250-360 2.5
102 4 45 0.3-0.7 200-300 3
178 5 39 0.6-0.8 130-200 3.8
254 6 31 0.6-1.0 80-130 5.3
305 7 25 0.6-1.0 50-80 6.1
356 8 20 0.6-1.0 50-80 6.6
GAS CUTTING NOZZLE OPERATION PERFORMANCE TABLE
Advantages of CNC
i. - Easier to program;
ii. - Easy storage of existing programs;
iii. - Easy to change a program
iv. - Avoids human errors
v. - CNC machines are safe to operate
vi. - Complex geometry is produced as cheaply as simple ones
vii. - Usually generates closer tolerances than manual machines
• Costly setup, skilled operators
• Computers, programming knowledge
• Maintenance is difficult