Nanomaterials in additivie manufacturing
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Nanomaterials in additivie manufacturing
Nanomaterials in Additive
Submitted by : Melike Gözütok -
• Additive Manufacturing
• Nanomaterials in Additive Manufacturing
- Metal Nanoparticles
- Carbon Nanotubes
- Ceramic and Semiconductor Nanoparticles
Creates objects from the bottom-up by adding
material one cross-sectional layer at a time
Nanomaterials in AM
• Metal Nanoparticles
• Carbon Nanotubes
• Ceramic and Semiconductor Nanoparticles
• Great interests
• Can be synthesized with different shapes
that arespheres, cubes, rods depending on
Recently metal NPs have been utilized for
the purposes of improving the sintering
characteristics and creation of new printing
materials for AM.
It was found that the addition of a nano-binder to the printed parts
decreased deflection and shrinkage.
• Decreases creep deflection and shrinkage
• Improves sintering
Carbon Nanotubes and Nanofibers
• Carbon Nanotubes,
– Allotropes of carbon.
– Each carbon atom has three neighbors
• There are three primary CNT forms which are
armchair, zig-zag, and chiral.
• Carbon Nanotubes are the strongest and
stiffest materials ever known!
• Increase tensile stress and fracture stress
• Decrease elongation at break.(Laser Sintering)
• Lower flexural modulus
• Improves mechanical properties
• Good distribution within a polymer.
• Carbon Nanotubes,
– hydrogen storage,
– field emission devices,
– scaffolds for damaged nerve regeneration
Ceramics and Semiconductor
• The size of ceramic NPs plays a crucial role, especially
on sintering temperature. Some ceramic materials such
as SiO2 and TiO2 show semiconducting properties.
• A semiconductor is a material with electrical
conductivity in-between a conductor and an insulator.
Such materials are characterized by conduction and
valence energy bands, which are separated by a known
energy range (band gap). The band gap affects the
semiconductor properties, such as optical and
Effects of Ceramic and Semiconductor Nanopartcles on
• Alivisatos, A.P., Semiconductor Clusters, Nanocrystals, and Quantum Dots.
THANK YOU FOR ATTENTION