Namecoin and distributed DNS
A short presentation I gave to the Geneva Bitcoin meetup on 2014-10-08 on the topic of Namecoin and distributed DNS
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Namecoin and distributed DNS
blockchain technology for a new
Bitcoin Meetup Geneva - 2014-10-08
● What is DNS?
● How does DNS work today?
● ICANN and NTIA
IN A NUTSHELL... very much CENTRALIZED!
How to evolve DNS
● Blockchain technology for a trusted and
What is Namecoin?
● A solution to the issue of having centralized
control on DNS using blockchain technology
● The .bit TLD has been implemented already
● The issue is that we are very early in the game!
– The solution is immature, but...
– Like all things-Bitcoin, there is great interest in the
What do we have today?
● A Bitcoin-like Namecoin client
Namecoin block explorer
Public DNS server
...but some smell dead already!
What are we missing?
● Client-side software!
● And it's the biggest issue, unfortunately...
● Without broad adaptation of the new DNS
format on the client, Namecoin is doomed to fail
● Some help might possibly come from the DANE
DNS-based Authentication of Named Entities
IETF working group
Some useful links (1/2)
● Namecoin official website:
● Namecoin official forum:
● Namecoin official wiki:
● Old Namecoin wiki (Dot-BIT):
Some useful links (2/2)
● Namecoin blockchain explorer:
● Dot-Bit website:
● List of existing .bit domains:
● Namecoin DNS servers:
.bit domain registrars
Tom's Namecoin proxy
is a Namecoin web proxy. It allows you to view .bit
domains (Namecoin domains) without installing
any software. It's kind of like "training wheels for
Dot-Bit." We're offering this service free as a labor
of love because we believe in Namecoin and
believe in the open-Internet anti-censorship and
better security features of Dot-Bit domains over
standard ICANN-controlled domains. (.com,
.net, .eu, etc.)
Many thanks to Tom!!
A good CoinDesk article