Narendra Modi Election 2014 - Case Study
Read through the Journey of Narendra Modi's Online presence and how the online campaigning helped him win the elections 2014 in large numbers.
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Narendra Modi Election 2014 - Case Study
Journey of Narendra Modi Online
From #NaMo4PM to #PMOIndia
The journey was started
on February 28, 2005
domain was created.
With the emergence of
Social Media, he enhanced
his reach and joined
Twitter in January 2009 &
Facebook in May 2009
Facebook Users: 100M+
Twitter Users: 18.1M+
Dream of becoming a Prime
Minister of the world’s biggest
democracy started taking a shape
with the campaign
Narendra Modi for PM
on January 13, 2010
The popularity of Narendra Modi became inevitable
3 years of campaigning to build an image of a perfect PM
BJP was left with no other option than selecting him as
PM Candidate for General Elections 2014
Ousted senior leaders like L.K. Advani with a silent
How Narendra Modi
3things that made
Narendra Modi Popular online
by putting on-
use of Social
• Narendra Modi has utilized all the social
platforms for creating the desired image.
Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Slideshare,
Flickr, Pinterest, etc. were effectively
used during the campaign.
• Social platforms helped him in
connecting with masses and
establishing two-way communication.
• Social Media as an owned platform
deﬁnitely helped him in disseminating
information directly to the masses at any
point of time.
Optimized use of Social Media
In last 3 years NaMo created lakhs
of Modi Brand Advocates via social
media who worked in mouth
publicity online and on-ground
during the campaigning.
This helped him in
be it about Godhra
Riots or his
• Narendra Modi has not left a room for negative content by stufﬁng all the search engines with excessive
• Campaigning included not just the ofﬁcial platforms & social channels of Modi but numerous pseudo
accounts and platforms.
• Forums, media platforms and websites are packed with the content which NaMo and BJP wanted to ﬂoat.
• Platforms like www.quora.com/Narendra-Modi, www.narendramodiplans.com, www.isupportnamo.org/ are
content rich and have effectively helped in portraying the desired image. All the queries are tactically solved
on forums to remove negativity.
Accurate positioning with excessive
• The way NaMo’s online promotional campaigns helped in creating brand ambassadors for on-ground
mouth publicity, representation of on-ground activities on online platforms supported in establishing a
transparent image of NaMo.
• Information of various developments in Gujarat and NaMo growth model is disseminated on daily basis.
• Blogs on various issues, occasions, events, situations and topics were published on regular basis to
create the desired image in minds of masses.
• At the time of campaigning information of rallies was conveniently disseminated.
Establishing a transparent image by
putting on-ground activities online
Ofﬁcial: 16M+ Likes
• Narendra Modi ofﬁcial fan page to establish transparency and two-way
communication. This platform gives details of his schedule & portrays his
views on various occasions and incidents.
• There are various pages like NaMo4PM which are used to build his image
as a perfect candidate for PM.
• There are numerous fb open and closed groups discussing about NaMo.
They are usually created according to different places and his varied roles.
• Then there are several fb pages created and managed by his fans.
• Facebook Ads also played an important role and helped in targeting the
audience demographically. His campaign ‘Abki baar, Modi Sarkar’ was
launched in many languages to touch the nerves of people.
• Millions of people are associated with NaMo on facebook and working as
his brand ambassadors.
and the list goes on…
Narendra Modi Ofﬁcial:
twitter.com/NaMo4PM - 67.5K
twitter.com/wesuportmodi4PM - 37.6K
twitter.com/Narendramodi_PM - 56.5K
twitter.com/TigerNaMo - 16.1K
twitter.com/NaMo4PMI - 11.2K
twitter.com/NarendraModiPM - 9,515
twitter.com/i_narendramodi - 4883
• Narendra Modi ofﬁcial twitter handle gives instant updates and happenings
about NaMo. It also act as a platform where NaMo expresses his views and gives
• Almost 1.97K number of unique people talking about Narendra Modi every
• Like fb there are various twitter handles like NaMo4PM which are used to build
his image as a perfect candidate for PM.
• There are numerous lists on twitter that are intended to spread positivity and
• There are several BJP & fan twitter handles that helps in promoting hashtags
and discussions about NaMo. He is the most discussed political personality on
twitter with maximum positive trends.
• Millions of people are associated with NaMo on twitter too and they work as his
brand ambassadors. It helps in suppressing the negative sentiments immediately.
• NaMo has more fan base than Superstar Rajinikanth.
• These are some of the hashtags which trended on
twitter almost throughout the campaigning for general
• They were ﬂooded with positive sentiments.
• Every day Narendra Modi was in trend for his rallies at
• During the campaigning he met stars like Salman
Khan and Rajinikanth which became the topic of
discussion on twitter.
• Apart from his general video bites on newschannels,
his interview with Arnab Goswami and his appearance
on Aapki Adalat were nationally most discussed topics
Narendra Modi Ofﬁcial Website -
6188th most visited website in the World
& 296th most visited website in India.
Narendra Modi Ofﬁcial Channel
On Varied Platforms
A Campaign that started with ‘NaMo4PM’ took a new
shape after announcement of PM candidature. A
perfect plan was made to
Leverage the popularity of NaMo
Highlight all the negative aspects of UPA Government
Enlighten the hope & positivity among people
aane wale hain
3 parallel campaigns that were carried on all the possible mediums
This campaign was created as an
expansion of ‘NaMo4PM’, with an aim
to target complete nation in mother
tongue. Main purpose is to leverage the
popularity of Narendra Modi.
‘Janta maaf nahi karegi’ line is used
to highlight all the negative aspects
and failures of UPA Govt.
This campaign was planned to
generate hope and positivity among
people. It helped in highlighting the
promises of BJP.
• Print Ads in varied languages were
published in all the newspapers.
• TV ads in between the programs.
• Whats App Messages and Ringtones.
• TV ads on prime time.
• Youtube videos were released.
• Memes were encouraged.
• Whats App messages &
• Song was created and released on Youtube.
• Same song was played on all the TV
• Ringtones were shared among masses on
• TV Commercials were also created on the
‘result says it all’.
NaMo is the new PM of India.
BJP recorded historic win with
• 76k tweets congratulating Narendra Modi using #CongratsNamo
• #CongratsNaMo trended Worldwide for almost 10 hours
• ‘Congratulations Sir’ went trending Worldwide for almost 4 hours
• 320 thousand Tweets using @narendraModi talking about Modi or talking to him [probably
the record number of mentions for one Twitter handle]
• India’s most retweeted tweet in the history – the ﬁrst tweet after victory by Narendra
Result says it all
BJP won 282 seats
i.e. 31% of all votes
Total buzz on the
result day 2,26,552
64K+ RTs & 40K+
Favorites on NaMo’s
‘India has won’ tweet.
NaMo for PM
The strategy that struck
the right chord with the people of India
Work on image building according to TG
and not your own perceptions and beliefs.
Do the research and understand the
nerve of your TG.
-1: Congress tried creating an image as
per Congress ideology rather than
focusing on mindset of TG.
+1: Narendra Modi worked on image
building as per Indian youth ideology.
Either we talk about his look, his words,
his healthy lifestyle (yoga) or his tech-
savvy image, this is all planned and not
something that happened by chance.
India is the nation of youth with 450M+
youngsters and they are the biggest
inﬂuencer. Win their trust and keep them
informed about every decision. It helps in
creating diehard party followers.
-1: Congress concentrated on grass-root
level and interacted more with followers.
+1: Narendra Modi interacted personally
with inﬂuencers and connected with
followers through rallies and mass
Social Media spreads everything at the speed
of light be it positive or negative. So it is
important to remove all the image damaging
news and information from search engines. As
we say ‘Positivity overcomes Negativity’, stuff
search engines & social networking sites with
-1: Congress does not have impressions of the
work they have done online and has never
concentrated on removing the negativity online.
+1: Narendra Modi managed to handle the
marriage and godhra riots with content
As a leader one is expected to be unbiased. This
helps in creating a crystal clear image of a person.
Use blogging efﬁciently and portray the desired
-1: Congress missed to give detailed views on
everything going in country and world this leaves a
room for perception. Don’t give a chance and allow
perceptions to ruin the image. PM was expected
to speak on inﬂation, foreign intrusion, increasing
rape cases, etc but the silence spoiled everything.
+1: Narendra Modi’s blog portrays what he exactly
want to convey on every big and small issue.
Availability is very important. Everyone expects the
leader to be available for them. Social networking
helps in being there and listening the problems,
views, suggestion and everything that nation
wants to convey. It also helps in understanding the
views of citizen on particular issue and thus, it
gives direction in showcasing one’s views.
-1: Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Manmohan
Singh, nobody has ofﬁcial veriﬁed social proﬁles
on any of the channel.
+1: Narendra Modi has presence on every online
Credits – Team Behind