Nanotechnology by Kush Saxena
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Nanotechnology by Kush Saxena
What is Nanotechnology
• Nanotechnology is a combination of two words i.e. Nano
means smallest and technology so Nanotechnology is the
technology of smallest things.
• Nanotechnology is the science of very small things.
Nanotechnology = Nano + Technology
Macro Micro Nano
Definition of Nanotechnology
• Nanotechnology refers to the constructing and engineering
of the functional systems at very micro level or we can say at
• Nanotechnology is a wonderful technology in which
scientists rearrange atoms and molecules of matter to new
Founder of Nanotechnology
• Richard Feynman was a Nobel prize winner (1965) and a
brilliant physicist. In 1959 he introduced the concept of
nanotechnology when he gave a talk titled “There is plenty of
Rooms at the bottom.”
Scale of Nanotechnology
1 meter = 100 centimeters
1 centimeter = 10 millimeters
1 millimeter = 0.000001 nanometer
• A sheet of newspaper is about 100,000 nanometers thick.
• A human hair is approximately 80,000- 100,000 nanometers
• A strand of human DNA is 2.5 nanometers in diameter.
How small the Nano is?
Key Terms You Need to Know
• Carbon Nanotubes
Buckyballs, also called fullerenes, were one of the first
nanoparticles discovered. This discovery happened in 1985 by
a trio of researchers working out of Rice University named
Richard Smalley, Harry Kroto, and Robert Curl.
Buckyballs are composed of carbon atoms linked to three
other carbon atoms by covalent bonds
• A Carbon Nanotube is a tube-shaped material, made of
carbon, having a diameter measuring on the nanometre scale.
Properties of Carbon Nanotubes
• Highest ratio to weight ratio, helps in creating light weight
• Easily penetrate membranes such as cell wall, helps in
treatment of cancer.
• Electrical resistance changes significantly when other
molecules attach themselves to the carbon atoms. Helps in
developing sensors that can detect chemical vapours.
Application of Nanotechnology
Nanotechnology in Electronics
• Nanotechnology increases the capabilities of electronics
devices while reducing their weight and power
• Improves display screens on electronics devices.
• Increasing the density of memory chips
• Reducing the size of transistors used in integrated
Nanotechnology in Medicine with the
help of Nanorobot
• Nanorobots is a microscopic robot built with
nanotechnology. These robots will be able to sense and
adapt to external factors such as light and heat.
• For Example if in future, you have a fever then your
doctor will able to place a tiny robot into your
bloodstream. The robot detects the cause of your fever,
travels to the appropriate system and provide dose of
medication directed to the infected area.
Nanotechnology in cancer Treatment
• The use of nanotechnology in cancer treatment offers
some exciting possibilities. Usually we depend upon
surgery, chemotherapy or radiation treatment to destroy
cancer.unfortunatlly these treatments can carry serious
side effects. With nanotechnology targeted therapies are
Nanotechnology useful for surgeons
• The role of nanotechnology in surgery is evident in
miniaturization of surgical tools. In US, Rice University
has made a significant invention named ‘Flesh Welding'.
Flesh welding is a new technology which can replace the
old clumsy and infection prone stitching method after
Nanotechnology in Battlefield
• Nanofabrics are currently being researched for use in military
camouflage.Nanoparticales can be injected into the material of
soldiers' uniform to not only to make material durable but
also to protect soldiers from different dangers such as high
temperature and impact of chemicals.
• Another important use for nanotechnology
is for manufacturing sensors highly
useful for military.
• Nanotechnology also can provide self changing camouflage.
This is done by injecting mobile pigment nanoparticales into
the uniform materail.These mobile pigment would be able to
change the colour of uniforms, depending upon the area that
the soldiers are in to provide effective camouflage.
Nanotechnology in Agriculture
• The implementation of nanotechnology in the form of small
sensors and monitoring devices will create a positive impact in
• Farmers can make excellent use of nanotech-enabled small
devices that can perform 2 roles-
1. Being as preventive
2. As an early warning system
Nanotechnology in Sports
• The world of competitive sports is highly influenced by even
minute changes in sports equipment, which could be a matter
of winning or losing and there is where nanotechnology can
• Baseball bat,tennis,badminton,hockey sticks
cricket bat and many more are some
of sporting equipment and their performance
and durability can be improved with the
help of nanotechnology.
Nanotechnology in LEDs
• Light Emitting Diodes or LEDs use much less energy than
concentioanl Most LEDs are made from semi-conducting
material called gallium arcenide phosphide.The best part of
LEDs is that they don’t release any heat unlike traditional
bulbs.Today,scientist are searching the use of differnt
Status of Nanotechnology in India
• Nanotechnology is being hailed as the next sunrise industry in
India. The department of Science and technology of the
central government has announced a national initiative in
nanometarils while the Jawaharlal Nehru centre for Advanced
Scientific Research Bangalore has pioneered the study of
nanotechnology in India.
• With the great scientist Prof. C.N.Rao at the helm, the centre
has done world class research in Nanotechnology.
Video on Nanotechnology