Pollution of Ganga
ppt on pollution of river ganga..
pls comment if u like it.!!
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Pollution of Ganga
through his penance
was responsible for the
descent of Ganga from
Heaven to Earth
As the might of the
river was too much for
Earth to withstand, he
prayed to Lord Shiva
who caught the river in
his matted hair
•Ganga in olden times
•What our government has done?..
Ganges In Olden Times
• Much cleaner before the era of
• In Rome there is a fountain of four Rivers–
The Ganges, The Nile, The Danube and
The Rio De La Plata.
• Full of ashes.
• Site of bathing and laundry.
• Harshly affected by Toxic and nonbiodegradable waste.
• Coliform counts 10000% more than
What our government has done..??
• Ganga Action Plan
• National River Ganga Basin Authority
• Steps taken by Supreme Court of India
The Ganga Action Plan – India
attempts to clean up
• Launched by Rajeev Gandhi in April
Crore , withdrawn on 31
• Relaunched in year 2006
• Million liters of sewage is targeted to
be intercepted, diverted and treated
Sewage Treatment Plant.
Includes physical, chemical, and biological
processes to remove physical, chemical and
• A decentralised system (in septic
Primary treatment consists of temporarily holding the sewage in a
tanks,basin where heavyaerobic treatment systems)
biofilters or solids can settle to the bottom while
oil, grease and lighter solids float to thevia a network of
• Collected and transported surface.
pipes and pump stations to a municipal
Secondary treatment removes dissolved and suspended biological
treatment treatment is typically performed by
indigenous, water-borne micro-organisms in a managed habitat.
• Involves three stages
Tertiary treatment is sometimes defined as anything more than
Secondary treatment in order to allow rejection into a
primary and secondary treatment
highly sensitive or fragile ecosystem (estuaries, low-flow rivers, coral
• Prof. G. D. Aggrawal