Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Namibian presentation
Namibia By Nathan Kerns
Map of Namibia• The country of Namibia borders Angola and South Africa• The capitol of Namibia is Windhoek
• This is the Namibian Flag• The Flag was adopted in 1990 after Namibia broke free from South Africa• Red: Represents Namibias most important resource, its people• White: Peace• Green: Agricultural resources• Blue: The ocean because it is a costal country
Population• 2.2833 million people• The red on the flag refers to the populations heroism and determination• 93% of people in Namibia are black, the other 7% percent are white
History• Originally, Namibia was inhabited by bushmen, damara, and namaqua• Afterwards, it was inhabited by the Bantu and the Bantu Expansion• It became a German Imperial protectorate in 1884 and remained a German colony until WW1• It is now a part of the United Nations
Government And Economics• Namibias economy is tied closely to South Africas do their history• Namibia has a highly developed banking sector with modern infrastructure such as online banking, cellphone banking etc.
Geography and climate• Namibia is almost all desert, the parts that are not deserts, are canyons• The climate is very hot and dry and they get little to no rain a year
Current Events• Last week the powerful WACS submarine fiber optic cable landed in Swakopmund, Namibia• A powerful political leader decided to join an anti- Ghaddafi and pro-democracy movement.
Culture• The vast majority of people in Namibia are Christian• Lutheran is the largest followed by catholic and then Dutch reformed and then Angelican• The languages spoken are many Bantu variants, such as Oshiwambo and Otjiherero• Despite the religious similarities, our cultures are almost nothing alike
Education• Namibia provides free education until the age of 16 or until the completion of primary school• There are approximately 1500 schools• Families must pay for uniforms, books, hostels, and school improvements
Daily Life• Most people live in rural areas• Most houses are built using traditional materials such as sticks, logs, thatch and earth• Namibians are very meat minded. They eat steak from various animals and fish