You can read more at www.kaan98.wordpress.com
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Narrative theory's
Within media its important to know what narrative and story is , also to know the difference between
• Narrative, this is them way that the events that happen within the story are put together and
presented to the viewers.
• Story, in media the story is the order of events within the film, this can also be know as the plot.
• Therefore, when analysing a narrative we analyse the construction of the story ie the way it has
been put component of the movie has been put together, not the story itself. You also need to
consider what the story is about in its most basic terms, ie the theme (eg Love, war, winning).
• All media texts have a narrative, whether they are a six hour TV miniseries or a one paragraph
newspaper story or a glossy magazine photograph.
With narratives many different people have different
theory’s. such as Todorov’s Narrative Theory, Vladimir
Propp and Levi-Straus.
every film starts
Then the film
will have a
After they try to the EQULIBRIUM
DAMAGE to the
At the end they have
Avatar Tribe live
Humans start war
against the tribe. Jake
sully is sent in to be
part of the tribe.
The tribes home tree
has been planned to
get destroyed by the
Tree gets destroyed,
Jake sully gathers the
avatar tribe and fights
The peace is restored,
and Jake sully decides to
with the tribe in Avatar
• Vladimir Propp believes that within a narrative only a
certain number of characters has a role.
• The role
• Levi-straus thought that all narratives needed conflict,
and the conflict would be cause by a series of opposing