NADL Keynote from John Spence
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - NADL Keynote from John Spence
Understanding the Pattern
of Business Success
Most people are so
busy working IN
their business thatthey do not take any
time to work ON
What does this mean to me?
How can I use this idea?
What can I do right away?
(T + C + ECF) x DE = Success
To be successful in the
future, the rate of internal
innovation must exceed the
rate of external innovation”
II > EI
The Key To Success in the New Normal…
Why do you work where you
Opportunity for Growth
Boss I Admire
Great Places to Work Study
Key Drivers of Business
Empowerment High Standards
1,300,000 interviews: Basic 4 + 1
Wow No Surprises Cheer
What does it take to be a valued member of a team?
Develop and display competence.
Follow through on commitments.
Deliver required results.
Ensure your actions are consistent with your word.
Stand behind the team and its people.
Be enjoyable to work with.
Be passionate about your work and those you serve.
Communicate and keep everyone informed.
Help the other members of the team.
Help members of other teams.
Share ideas, information and credit.
Hold yourself 100% accountable.
irection – vivid, clear, inspiring --- shared
easurements – specific, observable, focused
ompetence – very good at what they do
ommunication – open, honest, courageous
utual Accountability – all team members
iscipline – do this every day
10 Key Team Competencies:
1. Setting clear, specific and measurable goals.
2. Making assignments extremely clear and ensuring required competence.
3. Establishing accountability for high performance across the entire team.
4. Running effective team meetings.
5. Building strong levels of trust.
6. Establishing open, honest and frank communications.
7. Managing conflict effectively.
8. Creating mutual respect and collaboration.
9. Encouraging risk-taking and innovation.
10. Engaging in ongoing team building activities.
1 - 10
The level of highly satisfied and
engaged EMPLOYEES in your
The number one factor in increasing
the level of highly satisfied and
engaged CUSTOMERS in your
Culture = Cash
Actively disengaged employees cost you
$3,400 for every $10,000 of salary.
*Companies in the top quartile performance
Compared with companies in the bottom quartile.
TEN ELEMENTS OF A WINNING CULTURE
1. People enjoy the work they do and the people they work with
2. People take pride in the work they do and the company they work for
3. There are high levels of engagement, connection, camaraderie and a community
4. There is a culture of fairness, respect, trust, inclusiveness and teamwork
5. The leaders walk the talk, live the values and communicate a clear vision and
strategy for growth
6. Lots of open, honest, robust and transparent communication across the entire
7. The company invests back in employees; there is a commitment to learning,
coaching and development
8. There is a bias for action, employees have an ownership mentality and always
strive to give their personal best
9. There is high accountability and a strong focus on delivering the desired results
10. There is ample recognition and rewards and mediocrity is not tolerated
Web of Value: VOC + MOT + WOM
Moments Of Truth
43% - 74% of purchasing decisions = WOM/T
The Four Habits of Referability
1. Show up on time
2. Do what you say you will do
3. Finish what your start
4. Say “Please” and “Thank You”
5. Give a little bit more than they expect
What Inhibits Execution?
National Survey of 4,000 Senior Executives
• Inability to work together
• Company culture
• Economic climate
• Holding onto the past /
unwillingness to CHANGE
In other words…
• In order to succeed you
need a high-performance
team that embraces a
strong culture of
disciplined execution and
accountability while being
nimble, agile and adaptable
to changes in the
The five keys to accountability
1. 100% Clarity + Appropriate Authority & Resources
2. 100% Agreement
3. Track & Post
4. Coach, Mentor, Train and Support
5. Reward Success / Punish Failure
If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to send a note or call.
My email address is: email@example.com
My twitter address is: @awesomelysimple
Please connect with me on LinkedIn and Face Book
Also, you might find value in the ideas I share in my blog. You can sign up for it at:
Lastly, these slides have already been uploaded to: