Extreme Couponing for Advisor Training Programs
Extreme Couponing for Advisor Training Programs NACADA Region 4 Miami 2012
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Extreme Couponing for Advisor Training Programs
2012 NACADA Region IV International Conference Extreme Couponing for Advisor Training Programs Jessica Simmons, Ed.D. University of Central Florida Interdisciplinary Studies March 13, 2012
The StoryAcademic Advising Council
How to save time and $$$?• “Take baby steps”• “Don’t let coupons expire”• “Go where the sales are”• “Navigate the marketplace”
“Take baby steps”• Unroll training plan in phases• Don’t expect to complete everything at once• Phases 1-3
• Get organized. “Don’t let coupons expire”• Steal my materials! “Go where the sales are” – Hiring Checklist – for employer – Training Checklist – for employee – Training Calendar – Instead of being on Facebook!
“Navigate the Marketplace” Use Existing Campus Resources•Human Resource Orientation?•Technology Training?•Admissions Information Session?•Campus Tour?
Fill in the Gaps• Use FREE software to develop screen captured training videos – Camstudio – Jing – iSpring – authorPOINT Lite• Example of Camstudio video
• Catalog Information Training
Writing Good Questions• Academic Probation is defined in the Undergraduate Catalog as “Action taken when a student’s UCF cumulative GPA drops below 2.0. Academic probation will continue until the current term and UCF cumulative GPA reach 2.0 or better.” A student placed on academic probation will receive one of the following standings at the conclusion of their probation semester, based on their GPA outcomes:• Removed from Probation: Term GPA and UCF Cumulative GPA are both at 2.0 mark or higher.• Continued on Probation: Term GPA is at least a 2.0 or higher; UCF Cumulative GPA is still below a 2.00.• Discontinued: Term GPA and UCF Cumulative GPA are both below the 2.0 mark.
• A student is removed from probation when: a. Term GPA and UCF Cumulative GPA are both at 2.0 mark or higher. b. Term GPA is at least a 2.0 or higher; UCF Cumulative GPA is still below a 2.00. c. Term GPA and UCF Cumulative GPA are both below the 2.0 mark. d. Term GPA is a 2.0
• Lisa finishes the fall semester with a 1.75 UCF GPA and is placed on academic probation. She receives a spring term GPA of a 2.1 which brings her UCF GPA to a 1.9. What is Lisa’s academic standing? a. Removed from probation b. Continued on probation c. Disqualified d. Placed on academic warning
• Advising Skills “soft skills” Training
What advising skills to include?• NACADA Standards, • Degree Audits & Values, Mission Academic Plans• University Advising • Policy & Procedure Culture and Structure Beyond the Catalog• Advising Theories • Student Services• Student Appointment • Special Student Guidelines Populations• Best Practices• Confidentiality & Note Keeping
Challenges to Consider• Getting Buy-in & getting the word out• Technology Resources• Recognition or incentive to complete• Notification of new hires• Balancing online training with personal one-on-one training• Finding time• Leadership/delegation
What’s Next for UCF?• Pilot Group to test webcourses• Introduce to seasoned advisors• Develop recognition for completion• Mentoring• Face-to-face training
Final Questions or Comments?Jessica Simmons, Ed.D.University of Central FloridaOffice of Interdisciplinary Studies407-823-0013Jessica.email@example.com