Far North Queensland Regional Organisation of Councils
4. New TOR’s have been endorsed by FNQROC. Terrain has allocated funds for
50% of the position, with Councils to allocate ...
and draft the next 5 years response. Indicative dates 11-12 June. Michael
Graham will communicate exact dates.
To: 'Paul Devine'; Tudor Tanase; Wild Russell; 'Penny Scott'; 'Gavin Kay'; 'Steve McDermott';
'Raymond De Lai'; 'Paul Smit...
The pilot projects are aimed at improving flow of information and identifying weak
areas which need attention. The project...
of 5

Natural Asset Management Advisory Committee

Published on: Mar 3, 2016

Transcripts - Natural Asset Management Advisory Committee

  • 1.                       Far North Queensland Regional Organisation of Councils         Minutes of Meeting   Natural Asset Management Advisory Committee  Friday, 22nd May 2009 Russ Hinze Building, Pease Park, Innisfail  _____________________________________________________  Attendance: Cr Bill Horsford Cassowary Coast Regional Council Michael Graham DPI Darlene Irvine FNQROC Reuben Sinclair Terrain NRM Sid Clayton Tablelands Regional Council Earl Sparkes Biosecurity Qld Tudor Tanase Hinchinbrook Shire Council Matt Buckman Hinchinbrook Shire Council Ken English Cassowary Coast Regional Council Travis Sydes FNQROC Matt Birch Cairns Regional Council Damon Sydes Cassowary Coast Regional Council Meeting commenced: 9.15am 1. Chairperson’s opening Remarks and Welcome Cr Bill Horsford welcomed the attendees to the Cassowary Coast. 2. Apologies: Peter Logan, Russell Wild, Tim O’Brien, Cr Patrick Lynch, Paul Devine, Ian McCrae 3. Minutes of Meeting, (20th February 2009) Accepted as true and correct record – Moved: Travis Sydes Seconded: Matt Birch 4. Business arising out of minutes Draft 1 of 5
  • 2. 4. New TOR’s have been endorsed by FNQROC. Terrain has allocated funds for 50% of the position, with Councils to allocate the balance for the Natural Asset management Coordinator (Travis’s) position. Member councils to include it in the budget process. 5.2 Travis updated the meeting. Some projects were submitted with the CfOC applications, needs to be taken to the next step with Darlene’s database; Travis will approach every LG to obtain info. 6.1 Tudor advised that he has thanked John Clarkson for the visit to the Salvinia Weevil breeding facility and discussed the issues raised at the previous meeting. In conclusion: please identify release sites and feel free to order weevils from John or from your closest breeding facility. If and when demand exceeds supply we will consider setting up additional breeding facilities. If you have difficulty obtaining weevils from your closest breeding facility, please let Tudor know so that any impediments (e.g. excessive prices or supply problems) can be addressed via NAMAC. Weevils are available and CCRC have already used some. There is an oversupply of weevils, please use them! 6.2 Damon mentioned it may be difficult for councilors to do 2 separate days, with Forum and NAMAC being on different days. But we’ll keep as is at least for another meeting. Matt Buckman raised the participation from other councils to field work, as HSC is the only council who brought field staff to CCRC at this series of meetings. 6.3 Local adaptations pathways funding went through – awaiting response: CFoC have advised they have received very many applications. 6.4 Darlene explained and handed out the specs from the FNQROC development manual addressing landscaping (D9, S8). Matt Birch said that these provisions are not enforced, blocks are not inspected. Darlene will be working towards addressing this concern as part of the regional plan review. 6.5 Michael Graham updated the meeting on new weed developments (at forum). Pest animal coordinator position: Darlene spoke to Allan Dale – it will be dependant on funding through CfOC (to be announced 30 June). Travis: Fire management training: will need to determine how useful it is for every individual council. Most people are already trained (except HSC) but need to do more burns to keep accreditation. 5. Fixed Agenda Items 5.1 Update on regional weed management strategies   Darlene mentioned a number of regional strategies which need to be finalised. Travis updated the meeting: • Hymenachne strategy - is out to the stakeholders for comment. Will be a 5 year process to roll it out. Travis will be working with each LG to determine particularities. • Pond Apple strategy is nearing completion; has been very successful throughout the region; workshop will be organized to review the strategy
  • 3. and draft the next 5 years response. Indicative dates 11-12 June. Michael Graham will communicate exact dates. • Regional pest management plan: The new draft has been written and is at the consultation stage. • Please provide feedback to Travis! 5.2 Terrain participation at the NAMAC meeting (Darlene Irvine) Terrain approached Darlene as they want to be a part of the NAMAC group. Due to Terrain’s role in NRM it is envisaged that this is beneficial for all parties. Terrain is happy to leave the meeting on request if “LG-only” matters are discussed. Terrain would like to have an open invitation to the NAMAC meetings. Matt Birch raised the fact that a number of persons who have designed the new TOR’s at the Mission Beach meetings are absent. Darlene, Matt Buckman, Tudor, Travis spoke in support of Terrain’s request. Reuben suggested that Northern Gulf should be invited as well. Resolved: That Terrain be offered an open invitation to the NAMAC meetings, and that an invitation be extended to Northern Gulf to participate to NAMAC meetings in a similar capacity to Terrain. Moved: Darlene Irvine, Seconded: Damon Sydes 5.3 Feedback on the Hinchinbrook Weed Taskforce (Matt Buckman) See attached presentation from Matt. The discussion moved to the opportunities of organizing similar incursions in other regions, including cost tracking and resource utilization matters. Darlene mentioned 3 scenarios: 1, disaster response; 2, opportunity from disaster; 3, regular taskforces. There is the need of a system to justify the interventions to councilors etc. so that an equitable distribution of resources is guaranteed. Darlene suggested that at every NAMAC the next host council presents the ideas/project for field work at the next meeting. Action: Travis to draft a MOU to cover these issues. E.g spreadsheet of resources, principles of co-operation etc. Tudor to send http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBy90OqySnk to group for Truxor demo. 5.4 Skilling Queenslanders for Work – can NRM benefit from this initiative? (discussion) The group discussed the challenges related to this scheme. People had both positive and negative experiences with similar schemes in the past. It is accepted that the required level of supervision is very high. Darlene advised Terrain that FNQROC is interested in a joint proposal between FNQROC, Terrain and Tafe - as long as it will not negatively impact councils. Darlene will update the group as info becomes available. Details of the project are contained in Allan Dale’s email below: From: Allan Dale [mailto:alland@terrain.org.au] Sent: Sunday, 26 April 2009 10:33 PM
  • 4. To: 'Paul Devine'; Tudor Tanase; Wild Russell; 'Penny Scott'; 'Gavin Kay'; 'Steve McDermott'; 'Raymond De Lai'; 'Paul Smith'; 'Bruce Corcoran'; 'Bart Dryden' Cc: Bradley Peter; 'Caroline Coppo'; 'Carole Sweatman'; 'David Carey'; Jason Van Ballegooyen; 'Moni Carlisle'; Irvine Darlene; 'Andrew MacLean' Subject: Skilling Queenslanders for Work Proposal Dear All Terrain has been asked by the Queensland government to pull together a strategic Skilling Queenslanders for Work proposal that would allow effective training of people for the environmental management workforce in FNQ, a region that is particularly vulnerable to the financial crisis. I think we were approached as the Queensland government sees the opportunity to link job training to a range of environmental programs we run, but they specifically see reef rescue rehab programs and the emerging Council and other work crews as a great opportunity. In short, the program: · Provides six months wages for salaries for the long term unemployed in structured work programs; · Includes basic certificate level training modules for work entry; · Allows the joint selection of the employee; It is expected that: · The employee sit within an existing and structured work unit; · Be able to be supervised within the context of the supervision arrangements for that unit; · That there be a reasonable chance for employment in the longer term within the organization; Our approach would be: · Take a coordinated approach across a range of work unit and practical environmental options within the region; · Focus on a smaller number of employees spread across a wider range of work units to minimize supervisor demands (and employment experience and support; · We would appoint a program coordinator to coordinate training and support negotiations towards placements; · Hook up with TAFE to support CALM training modules; · Work across multiple employers (eg Councils, Terrain etc). As managers of potential work units for placements, could you please provide me with the number of potential placements you might be willing to take on, the work units they could be located in, and the core roles they would undertake. This program has the potential to have longer term benefit to our work units, so I am keen to be able to get an effective proposal in place for this round …. There is also a high likelihood of success. Could you get back to me with this preliminary information by the end of the week … As well as thoughts of other potential units I may have missed. Regards Allan 5.5 Regional Data Hub pilot project – update (Reuben Sinclair)
  • 5. The pilot projects are aimed at improving flow of information and identifying weak areas which need attention. The project covers 6 NRM regions, with the ROC’s being engaged at this stage. Need recommendations form NRM stakeholders as to how the flow of information can be improved; a data librarian could be used to manage info flow. Reuben will contact stakeholders in the near future to workshop these issues. Workshop will be held in Cairns (Rydges) on 25 June 2009. Further information will be distributed via email. 5.6 Review of Pond Apple Plan (Travis Sydes) Covered in 5.1. Also photo monitoring project funding (WoNS) received so we need to nominate sites e.g. Hymenachne case study sites, with twice yearly photo monitoring and data to be kept by FNQROC and available via website. Travis will communicate with each council individually. 6. General Business Darlene proposed: 1, Reef and Rainforest CRC presentation at next NAMAC; 2, A proposal for the Coastal forum (with support from GBRMPA, WTMA) to be hosted in this region. If it occurs, council support will be required for any technical tours and attendance and Darlene will send out further info via email to the group before final support is obtained. Darlene will email further info to the group Damon: CCRC lack of 1080 licenses creates difficulty. NAMAC should lobby to get more land protection officers positions supported. Matt Buckman mentioned that HSC is concerned that CCRC receives all the support in 1080 baiting, with HSC getting no assistance. Tudor stated his concern that DPI officers are heavily involved in assisting Paul Smith with baiting and there is no support (in any area) for other shires. Michael Graham updated the group on DPI staff and resources availability and trends. Darlene: ROC to do a motion regarding lack of LPO’s for presentation to the minister. Matt Birch updated the meeting on issues relevant to Cairns Regional Council. Travis reminded attendees that B4B reporting is due soon. 7. Date and venue for next meeting: 20 - 21 August – Hinchinbrook (confirmed), venue to be communicated closer to the meeting date) 19 - 20 November – Cooktown (to be confirmed) Meeting ended: 12.45pm

Related Documents