Get More from Big Data and Your Budget
In the new age of computing, you need to be able to take the deluge of big data and turn it into actionable insights. Having the right IT infrastructure is crucial. Find out how the IBM Data Engine for Analytics with Hadoop and POWER8 can make all the difference.
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Get More from Big Data and Your Budget
GET MORE FROM
BIG DATA AND
with Hadoop and IBM POWER8®
[ 1 ]
McKinsey estimates that if
the U.S. health-care system
used big data analytics
creatively and effectively,
they could potentially find
$300 billion in value annually.
[ 2 ]
60%60%A retailer has the
potential to increase
its operating margin by
60% by leveraging big
data to the fullest.
[ 3 ]
Big data can help
you make the sale.
New Technology helps
old world economies.
[ 4 ]
Big data analytics can help the developed economies of
Europe save $149 billion in operational efficiency.
What kind of data
are you managing?
There are two types of data:
Structured Data is what exists in your enterprise IT
systems. They include CRM, inventory, billing and more.
Unstructured Data is everything else. 85% of it is
estimated to come from sources like audio, documents,
emails, images, RFID data, social media video and more.
[ 5 ]
To succeed, you need to be able to take the deluge of
big data and turn it into actionable insights.
The convergence of mobile, social and cloud gives
you the open, flexible and agile environment you need.
new age of computing.
[ 6 ]
[ 7 ]
[ 7 ]
Traditional approaches to offline analysis of
siloed data can limit you. They can’t keep up
with the volume, variety and velocity of data
coming in due to next-gen network rollouts,
smart-phones, social media and the deluge of
Emerging open source technologies like Hadoop
can help cut the processing time—especially in
Unleash the value of data and deliver insights where they’re needed:
• High Performance processor designed for big data
• 4X more threads per core to process more concurrent queries vs x86
• 4X memory bandwidth and 5X cache for efﬁcient processing of big data vs 86
• 2.4X I/O bandwidth to ingest and move data faster than vs POWER7
• Excellent reliability, availability and serviceablity
• Unique innovation such as coherent accelerator processor interface
Drive faster insight with POWER8
for big data analytics.
[ 8 ]
The IBM Data Engine for Analytics is a customizable solution that’s built to meet your
• It addresses your challenges by connecting POWER8®
-based compute servers to the
IBM Elastic Storage Server, which is based on the IBM Spectrum Scale with a high-
• The Elastic Storage Server used by the IBM Data Engine for Analytics offers shared
storage at lower cost than SAN and includes RAS and management functionality
[ 9 ]
Address the challenges
inherent in Hadoop solutions.
Data volumes are growing at rates as high as
50% per year. Be ready:
• Get an expertly designed, tightly integrated and
performance-optimized reference architecture for big
• Tailor it to meet big data workloads with a simple
building block approach to match the appropriate mix
of CPU and storage to application requirements—
unlike traditional x86 solutions
• Optimize at a price competitive to x86 solutions
• Deploy clusters in a day or two thanks to automated
• Deliver with minimal staff training
Derive insight from all data with IBM Data
Engine for Analytics — Power Systems
[ 10 ]
The IBM Data Engine for Analytics offers many added benefits, including
significant advantages from POWER8®
• Faster MapReduce engine
• Minimization of infrastructure duplication and reduced cost
• Sharing of infrastructure with non-Hadoop workloads
• Security isolation between tenants
• Allow tenants to expand to use available infrastructure
• Scale compute and storage independently with flexible building blocks as
your needs grow
[ 11 ]
Advantages over x86 standard
[ 12 ]
Get the full story on the
IBM Data Engine for Analytics
with Hadoop and POWER8
Read the paper >
Find out more about IBM Power Systems