National Action Plan Pakistan
Terrorists attack on APS peshawar and the formation of National Action Plan Pakistan
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - National Action Plan Pakistan
• THIS PRESENTATION HAS BEEN MADE BY ME FOR EDUCATIONAL
• NO COPYRIGHT VIOLAION HAS BEEN DONE.
• ALL RIGHTS REST WITH THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.
• NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE.
Muhammad Hasham Akhtar
BEMTS 1A 2015
• SLIDE CONTEXT
5-6 Background & APS school attack
7-8 Reaction of world on attack
9 APC & formation of NAP
10-12 The Plan
2015 & Onwards
• Increased terrorism activities in the state especially in years 2013-14.
• Attack on Army Public School Peshawar.
ATTACK ON ARMY PUBLIC SCHOOL PESHAWAR
• On 16 December 2014, seven gunmen affiliated with the Tehrik-i-
Taliban (TTP) conducted a terrorist attack on the Army Public School
in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar.
• All the terrorists were foreign nationals. They entered the school and
opened fire on school staff and children, killing 145 people, including
132 school children, ranging between eight and eighteen years of age.
• A rescue operation was launched by the Pakistan Army's Special
Services Group (SSG) special forces, who killed all seven terrorists and
rescued 960 people
REACTION OF LEADERSHIP
• Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the attack, calling it a
national tragedy and announced a three-day mourning period during
which the National Flag would fly at half mast.
• President Mamnoon Hussain and chief ministers of four provinces
reacted strongly to the attack and condemned it.
• Major Pakistani political entities denounced and heavily condemned
the attack on innocent children, calling for a strong reaction against
REACTION OF WORLD
• At every level people condemned the attack and demanded the
serious action and penalties against the terrorists.
• Marches and rallies were held throughout the world.
• Even the terrorist organization al-Qaeda's spokesperson said that
"Our hearts are bursting with pain" and that the soldiers should be
targeted, not their children.
APC & NATIONAL ACTION PLAN
• On 24 December 2014 an All Parties Conference headed by PM
Nawaz Sharif was held to make decisions regarding the APS school
attack. The APC included all senior civil and military heads.
• National Action Plan was formed during the APC.
• The PM addressed the nation on very same day and said that the
students killed during the attack were mine. He also informed the
nation about our reaction and future policies regarding terrorism in
• PM missioned to uproot terrorism in the state.
• Execution of extremists convicted in terror related cases.
• Special courts, headed by the officers of the armed forces, will be
established for the speedy trial of terrorists. These courts will be
established for a term of two years.
• Formation of armed militia will not be allowed in the country.
• National Counter Terrorism Authority will be revived and made
• There will be a crackdown on hate-speech, and action will be taken
against newspapers, magazines contributing to the spread of such
• Financial sources of terrorists and terror organizations will be cut.
• Banned outfits will not be allowed to operate under different names.
• Special anti-terrorism force will be raised.
• Measures will be taken to stop religious extremism and to protect
• Madrassas will be regularized and reformed.
• Print and electronic media will not be allowed to give any space to
• Keeping the rehabilitation of DPs as the top-most priority, administrative
and development reforms in FATA will be expedited.
• Communication Social media and the Internet will not be allowed to be
used by terrorists to spread propaganda and hate speech, though exact
process for that will be finalized systems of terrorist organizations will be
• Like the rest of the country, no space will be given to extremism in any part of the
• Operation against terrorists in Karachi will be taken to its logical conclusion.
• In the interest of political reconciliation, Baluchistan government will be given
complete authority by all stakeholders.
• Elements spreading sectarian violence will be prosecuted.
• Comprehensive policy will be formed for registration of Afghan refugees.
• To give provincial intelligence agencies access to communication of terrorists and
to strengthen anti-terror agencies through basic reforms in the criminal justice
system. Constitutional amendments and legislation will be carried out for this
Execution of convicted terrorists
• 128 prisoners convicted in different terrorist activities were executed
by March 2015. Most them belonged to TTP group. They were held in
different prisons throughout the country.
• Air strikes and ground action against the terrorist residing inside the
country were made more effective.
• From the very next day to the APS attack air strikes and ground
operations were conducted by security forces which targeted and
killed many terrorists having their shares in the massacre.
• On 26 December 2014, Aerial strikes in Datta Khel killed 23 terrorists.
An underground ammunition dump and tunnel system was also
• Objectives of operation Zarb-e-Azb were also updated.
SPEEDY TRIALS OF TERRORISTS
• Trail procedure of terrorist courts was updated to produce quick
• Special military courts were formed for the speedy trials of terrorists.
• Over 50 cases of hardcore terrorists for prosecution in military courts
send till 25 March 2015
KARACHI & QUETTA OPERATIONS
• Military and para-military operations undergoing in every part of the
country were revolutionized to gain objectives fast.
• Rangers operation undergoing in Karachi gained force and full support
of civil leadership.
• Operation continuing in Baluchistan under FC was also updated by
providing authorities to the security forces.
TRAINING & FORMATION OF SPECIAL FORCES
• Training of special forces which include commandos, green berets and
anti-terrorists squads were made a duty of Pakistan Army.
• SOTF (Special Operations Task Force) was formed, trained and headed
by SSG (Special Services Group) of Pak Army. Its first batch passed out
in Aug 2015.
• Training of Elite and SSU forces were modernized and made more
effective and determined.
MODERNIZATION OF EQUIPMENT
• Police and Military equipment were modernized by importing
ammunition and heavy military equipment from other countries.
• POF (Pakistan Ordinance Factory) was provided with additional funds
for improving the quality and standards of ammunition and arms.
• These steps were taken to achieve targets in minimum time.
• The soul objective of NAP is to uproot all kinds of terrorism from the
state and make Pakistan a peaceful and safer place to live in.
COMMENTS & STATEMENTS
• PM Nawaz Sharif said “We have to act fast and whatever is agreed
we have to implement it immediately...this agreement is a defining
moment for Pakistan and we will eliminate terrorists from this
• Defence Minister Khawaja Asif said that the nation stood by its
military: "The decision was taken after the strategy of dialogue failed.
The operation will continue until it reaches its logical conclusion. Any
group that challenges Pakistan's constitution, attacks civilians,
soldiers, and government installations and uses Pakistani territory to
plan terrorist attacks will be targeted"
• “Using North Waziristan as a base, these terrorists had waged a war against the
state of Pakistan and had been disrupting our national life in all its dimensions,
stunting our economic growth and causing enormous loss of life and property.
They had also paralyzed life within the agency and had perpetually terrorized
the entire peace loving and patriotic local population”.
— Inter-Services Public Relations
• “PAF will continue to prove in future that it is an efficient and hard-hitting air
force second to none,” ----- Air Chief
• Hopefully InshAllah we will be watching a safer and more peaceful
Pakistan in the future for years to come.