Presenting scientific data graphing
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Presenting scientific data graphing
• What step in the Scientific Method
includes presenting data?
Presenting Scientific Data
To be the most useful, scientific data
should be organized.
• Data is most often plotted in graphs
because a graph makes it easy to
• The most commonly used graphs are line
graphs, bar graphs, and circle graphs.
• Line graphs are used for showing
changes in related variables. The
manipulated variable is plotted on the
(x) axis while the responding variable
goes on the (y) axis.
• When both variables increase, it is
called a direct proportion.
• If one variable
is called an
• Bar graphs are used when you want to
compare data that has been counted.
• The items to be counted go on the x-
axis and the numbers of items go on the
Circle graphs (pie charts)
• Circle graphs or pie charts are used to
show how some fixed quantity is broken
down into parts.
Closure: What type of graph is
best to present this data?
1. The types of pets owned by GCMS
2. The change in water temperature as it
is heated for 15 minutes
3. The types of elements that make up
the human body
4. The distance a steel ball travels down
a ramp in a certain amount of time