Narrative theory the vow
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Narrative theory the vow
1. Equilibrium: Leo and Paige are happily married and come out of a cinema to find it
snowing and get in their car to go home.
2. Disruption: Whilst in the car, Paige leans over to Leo and kisses him. At this moment, a
lorry plows into the back of their car and Paige crashes through the windscreen of their
3. Realisation: Leo wakes up and finds Paige in a coma. Paige then wakes up thinking
Leo is her doctor and not remembering him or the last couple of years at all.
4. Attempt to repair: Paige returns to her family home after Leo tries to make her fall back
in love with him, remembering her life before but not knowing why she left in the first
place - her best friend had an affair with her father. She goes on a night out with all
her friends from her past and sees Jeremy (her ex-fiance) who she is still in love with as
she doesn't remember Leo. She returns to Law school and divorces Leo. Paige then
sees her estranged friend who doesn't know about her memory loss and apologises for
having the affair.
5. New equilibrium: Paige and Leo bump into each other at a closed cafe due to snow
and therefore rekindle their relationship.
1. Equilibrium: Shows a montage of Leo and Paige getting married,
leading up to their marriage and life after.
2. Disruption: Slow motion of the lorry colliding with the car that Leo and
Paige are in.
3. Realisation: Paige is in hospital and is confused, calls Leo "doctor" -
suggests she doesn't know who he is. Montage of Leo becoming angry
at the fact Paige doesn't remember him in the hospital.
4. Attempt to repair: Partly shown through the use of sound - voice over
of Leo "I will make her fall back in love with me."
5. New equilibrium: Not shown as this would give the plot away in the two
minute trailer, defeating the point of enticing the audience in as they
wouldn't feel the need to watch the film when it comes out as they
know the ending already.