Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Naren_CV_2015
Narender Rao Somisetti
Flat No. 603, 11th
Divya Shree Shakti Apartments, Mayur Nagar
Bollaram Road, Opp lane to Miyapur Busbody Unit,
Tel No: +91 9866059991 (mobile)
Email id: email@example.com
I wish to introduce myself as Chief Manager in R&D department of Piramal Health
Care Ltd, INDIA (Piramal Enterprises Limited), which is reputed API Generics
company in INDIA. I have 16 years of experience in API process development. I
worked in reputed Pharma Industries like Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories and Srini
Pharmaceuticals Ltd (Joint Venture of Apotex Pharma Chem Inc., Canada) which
are USFDA and TGA approved organizations. I worked as Associate Scientist in the
Medicinal Chemistry Department of GVK Biosciences Pvt.Ltd, which is the leading
CRO Company in INDIA and involves in custom synthesis and contract research for
multinational companies like PFIZER, MERCK, NOVARTIS, BMS, DUPONT and
I am privileged to be associated with India’s leading Pharma Company (Dr Reddy's
labs) which is the first Indian pharma company to be enlisted in New York Stock
Exchange and working with cutting edge technology in various research areas like Drug
discovery, Biotechnology involving the study of Cytotoxic Compounds and evolved a
feasible Engineering Solutions to design a green field plant.
I was selected by the management of Dr Reddy's Laboratories, INDIA through
University campus selection to work in R&D and I have a total of 16 years of R&D
experience in API Process development.
I did my Ph.D in Organic Chemistry in the following areas,
a) Synthesis, characterization and biological evaluation of novel biphenyl tetrazoles.
b) Designing and developing of improved, efficient and alternative routes to the
Angiotensin Receptor Blockers /sartan series drugs (Irbesartan, Olmesartan
Medoxomil and Valsartan).
I am determined to make my career in your organization and request you to give me an
opportunity to prove myself in this esteemed organization.
Thanking you in anticipation and expecting an early reply,
Narender Rao Somisetti
Encl.: 1. Resume
A Doctorate in Organic Chemistry, having 16 years of experience in Research &
Development and currently working as Chief Manager-R&D in Piramal
• Enthusiastic entrepreneur and successfully managing the team (consisting of 20
members), having good communication and presentation skills and highly
motivating the subordinates, coordinating with all levels of management.
• A proactive team leader, dynamic decision maker, delivering work of the highest
quality and within the set timelines.
• Having worked in highly pressurized situations and has shown the necessary skill
set to bring complex situations to fruitful conclusion.
• Succeeded in completing all the projects assigned with dedication and
• Resourceful and adaptable to the company’s priorities.
My current key responsibilities are leading a team consisting of 20 scientists and our
1) Process Development of API Generics for Regulatory Markets
2) Developing a cost effective, plant feasible and eco friendly process for Active
3) Designing and establishing alternative routes and non-infringing processes for
API Generic products.
4) Cost reduction of the existing processes.
5) Support for DMF filing/refiling and addressing deficiencies.
6) Vendor qualifications and vendor development.
7) Impurity profile study.
8) Process robustness studies through DOE and PAT studies.
9) Technology transfer to plant, support for trial and validation batches execution and plant
To work in an esteemed organization, in which I can put to use the skills and expertise
that I have gained in the field of Synthetic Organic Chemistry (Process Development)
and to obtain a challenging and diversified position that will promote growth and career
EXPERIENCE/ CAREER PROFILE:
Jan, 2013 to till date : Working as Chief Manager-R&D department of Piramal
Enterprises Ltd, Hyderabad, INDIA (Piramal Enterprises
Jan, 2012 to Dec, 2012 : Worked as Assistant General Manager in Corporate R&D
Centre, Nagarjuna Agrichem Ltd.
Sept, 2007 to Jan, 2012 : Joined as Deputy Manager in R&D department of Srini
Pharmaceuticals and promoted as Head (Manager)-R&D in
June, 2009 and lead a team of total group of 35 members.
Nov, 2004-Aug, 2007 : Worked as Sr. Research Associate and
Associate Scientist in R&D (Medicinal Chemistry division)
of GVK Biosciences Pvt. Ltd. Hyderabad, INDIA.
Sept, 2003-Oct, 2004 : Worked as Sr. Research Associate in the Research and
Development Department of Oman Chemicals and
Pharmaceuticals LLC, OMAN.
Aug, 2000-sept, 2003 : Worked as Research Chemist in Research and
Development Dept. of Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd,
August 1999 : Joined as Trainee Chemist in Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
LTD, Hyderabad, INDIA.
2007-2012: Ph.D in Organic Chemistry from S.K. University, Anantapur,
Andhra Pradesh, INDIA.
1997-1999: Master of Science in organic chemistry, Andhra University,
Andhra Pradesh, INDIA (69%, First class)
1994.1997 : Bachelor of Science (Mathes, Physics, Chemistry), Silver Jubilee
Govt. Degree College (APRDC), Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh,
INDIA. (77%, First class with distinction)
1992-1994: Intermediate, S Y L N S Jr. College, Alair, Nalgonda,
Andhra Pradesh, INDIA. (76%, First class)
1990.1991 : S.S.C, Z.P.H.S High school, Yadagirigutta, Nalgonda, Andhra
Pradesh, INDIA (73%, First class)
• PG Diploma in Computer Applications
• PG Diploma in Drug Regulatory Affairs from Institute of Pharmaceutical
• QbD course from SSA solutions.
Process Development of API Generics:
• Developing a cost effective, plant feasible and eco-friendly processes for APIs for
• Cost reduction of the existing processes.
• Developing new routes/non infringing routes for the APIs.
• Well experienced with design of experiments (DOE) and QbD approaches for robust
API process development.
• Impurity profile study (Identification, synthesis and characterization of impurities
• Well experienced in technology transfer, anticipating and resolving the scale up
issues in the plant.
• Having experience in scale up in Kilo lab and pilot plant.
• Plant support for qualification & validation batches and trouble shooting.
• Supporting for DMF filings, responding the DMF deficiencies and customer
• Supporting the Vendor identification, Qualification and involving the technical
discussion with vendor for the improvement of the processes.
• Backward integration of KSM/RSMs, proposing alternative KSMs, designing
alternative and cost effective routes for KSMs.
• Patent evaluation summary preparation and designing non-infringing synthetic
routes / processes for the APIs.
• Coordination with marketing department during the identification of new
product and assessment of feasibility.
• Having knowledge in Quality assurance and Regulatory affairs and coordinating
with the concerned departments for API and Intermediates specifications and
• Having experience in supporting audits like USFDA and TGA and supported for
couple of products.
• Exposure to Flow Chemistry (Advanced Flow reactor).
• Having experience in preparing budget for R&D.
I have involved in the process development of the following products of different
Anti hypertensive series:
Olmesartan Medoxomil (Process development)
Telmisartan (Process development, Commercialization & DMF filing)
Irbesartan (Process development & Commercialization)
Valsartan (Process development & Commercialization)
Carvedilol (Process development, Commercialization & DMF filing)
Anti ulcerative series:
Esomeprazole Magnesium (Process development& Commercialization)
Pantoprazole Sodium (Process development & Commercialization)
Rabeprazole Sodium (Process development, Commercialization & DMF filing)
Omeprazole (Process development, Commercialization & DMF filing)
Lansoprazole (Process development & Commercialization)
CNS drug series:
Pregabalin (Process development, Commercialization & DMF filing)
Levetiracetam (Process development, Commercialization & DMF filing)
Lamotrigine (Process development, Commercialization & DMF filing)
Aripiprazole (Process development & Commercialization)
Ziprasidone.HCl monohydrate (Process development)
Paroxetine.HCl (Process development & Commercialization)
Duloxetine.HCl (Process development)
Desloratadine (Process development)
Trazodone HCl (Process development, Commercialization & DMF filing)
Atorvastatin Calcium (Process development & Commercialization)
Sumatriptan Succinate (Process development, Commercialization & DMF
Valacyclovir HCl (Process development and commercialization)
Rosuvastatin Calcium ((Process development)
Moxifloxacin HCl (Process development and commercialization)
Montelukast Sodium (Process development)
• Quick learner who can adapt to new responsibilities.
• Special talent for assessing company needs and priorities.
• Interrelate well with people at all levels.
• A decision-maker, well organized & resourceful. Equally effective working as a
member of a team to meet organization objectives.
• Having good presentation skills & communication skills
• Expertise in literature search Reaxys search, Sci-finder, Smart Chem (Row2
• Preparing reports and participating weekly, monthly review meeting with site
head and cross functional teams.
• Well acquainted with documentation of the projects, presentations, writing
reports to the clients and attending telecon and videoconferences with the clients.
• A good team leader and actively participated in building the team by coordinating
with HR. Providing training to the team members with respective advanced
technologies in the field of synthetic chemistry and process development.
1. US 20090286990: “Process for preparing Irbesartan”
2. WO2015/110883 A1: “An improved process for the preparation of Trazodone
and salts thereof”.
3. WO2015/071831 A1: “An improved process for minimizing the formation of
4. IN3953/MUM/2013: “An improved process for the preparation of dioxo-
5. IN1798/MUM/2014: “An improved process for the preparation of Quetiapine
and salts thereof”.
6. IN1864/MUM/2015: “A Process for the preparation of Verapamil
7. IN 4224/MUM/2015 “A Process for the preparation of cis-
tosylate, an intermediate of ketoconazole”.
1. “Synthesis and Characterization of Potential Impurities of Carvedilol, an
Antihypertensive Drug”, Somisetti Narender Rao; Devarasetty Sitaramaiah;
Kema Srimannarayana; Challa Nageswar Rao; Peddi Srinivasa Rao; K.
Sudhakar Babu, Synthetic Communications, 41: 1, 85- 93.
2. “An Improved process for the preparation of (S, S)-2,8-diazabicyclo [4,3,0]
nonane, a key intermediate of Moxifloxacin hydrochloride”, Narender Rao
Somisetti, Veeraiah Mynam, Nageswar Rao Challa, Somiah Sripathi, Raju
Veeramalla, Srinivasa Rao Peddi, K.Sudhakar Babu, Organic chemistry an
Indian Journal, 7(2), 2011, 123-129.
3. “Commercial scalable process for the preparation of Irbesartan intermediate”,
Somisetti Narender Rao, Devarasetty Sitaramaiah, Challa Nageswar Rao,
Peddi Srinivasa Rao and K. Sudhakar Babu, Rasayan journal of Chemistry,
Vol.3, No.4 (2010), 681-689.
4. “Synthesis and Characterization of impurities of an anticonvulsant drug,
Lamotrigine”, Somisetti Narender Rao, Sripathi Somaiah, T.Ravi Sankar and
K.Sudhakar Babu. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical
Sciences, 4(1), 2012, 133-136.
5. “An improved and efficient synthesis of Irbesartan, an antihypertensive drug”
Somisetti Narender Rao and K. Sudhakar Babu*, Organic Communications,
4(4), 2011, 105-1.
6. “Synthesis and characterization of impurities of an anticonvulsant drug,
Pregabalin”, Somaiah Sripathi, Narender Rao Somesetti, Raju Veeramalla,
Nageswar Rao Challa, Srinivasa Rao Peddi, and Venugopal Reddy Karnati,
ARKIVOC 2010 (x) 266-275.
7. “An alternative and efficient synthesis of Olmesartan Medoxomil via Suzuki
Coupling”, Narender Rao Somisetti, T. Ravi Sankar, and K. Sudhakar Babu*,
International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, Volume 4, Issue 4, Oct - Dec,
8. “Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of novel biphenyl tetrazoles,
Somisetti Narender Rao, T. Ravisankar, J. Latha and K. Sudhakar Babu, Der
Pharma Chemica, 2012, 4 (3):1093-1103.
Conferences and workshops attended recently:
“Process Development for Low Cost Manufacturing” by Scientific Update team,
National Chemical Laboratories, Pune, 2nd
“Quality by Design by Process Validation II Product Life Cycle Management” by
Dr. Line Lundsberg, International Business Conferences, 14th
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS and EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:
• First class student and secured highest marks among all the students of MSc in
Andhra University PG Centre.
• Having interest in writing and directing skits and shows.
• Actively participated, won many prizes in Chess & Cricket.
OS and Environment : Windows,
MS OFFICE : Microsoft Word, Excel and Power point.
Exposure to various search engines like Sci-finder, Reaxys, Row2 and chemical
softwares like ISIS Draw, Chem Draw, Design Expert (DOE) and Visimix.
Date of Birth : 4th
Sex : Male
Marital Status : Married
Languages known : English, Hindi and Telugu
Dr. Narender Rao Somisetti
Flat No. 404, E-Block
Indu Aranya Pallavi Apartments
Bandlaguda, Nagole, HYDERABAD-500068
Andhra Pradesh, INDIA
1) Dr. A.S.Rao,
Vice President, Medicinal Chemistry Division,
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
2) B.V.N.S. Shiva Kumar,
Vice President (Operations),
Mylan Laboratories Ltd, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
Ph No: 8008136888.
3) Dr. Bipul Saha,
Sr.Vice President –R&D,
Nagarjuna Agrichem Ltd., Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
Ph No: 9010761888
4) P. Srinivasa Rao
Head Operations (Technical)
Srini Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Hyderabad, Telengana State