Polynomials in the Real World
A short illustration of how polynomials can be used in the real world; Box images from Dawn Adams
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Polynomials in the Real World
IN THE REAL WORLDReally
• One of the most widely-used applications of
polynomials is what we refer to as optimization.
• Optimization means that we find the maximum or the
minimum in a given situation.
• Sometimes we want to find the maximum---for
example, if we are talking about profits.
• Sometimes we want to find the minimum---for
example, if we are talking about costs.
A Specific Example
• MeadWestVaco is a packaging
company that creates boxes for products
that range from toothpaste to washable
• They are hired by companies to design
the most cost-efficient packaging
possible for a particular product. To do
this, they create a polynomial to model
the dimensions of the material they want
• Then they OPTIMIZE the polynomial to
produce the package with the most
amount of space while using the least
amount of material.
HERE’S AN EXAMPLE
OF A PROBLEM THEY
THERE REALLY ARE
PEOPLE WHO GET
PAID TO DO THIS
For more information about
MeadWestVaco and what they do:
• Google “packaging