Nailing that Devops Interview - An Anti-guide. Nir Cohen, GigaSpaces
I'm far from being an HR specialist; Even so, I've interviewed approximately 30 people for an Ops Lead role and couldn't find even one to stand up to my requirements. I've also heard of many (many) bad questions and wrong decisions made by interviewers because of which they didn't get the right person for the job. I would like to present the problem of why, in my opinion, it is hard to find that right person; why interviewers should stop looking for "DevOps" and start looking for "Good, Technical People" and why, after all, 30 people didn't suffice.
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Nailing that Devops Interview - An Anti-guide. Nir Cohen, GigaSpaces
The desired candidate will have B.Sc from 4 years of college or university,
at least 10 years of infrastructure development experience and/or training, along with:
– 3+ years of AWS experience.
– 5-7 years of general DevOps/WS/DB/infrastructure experience.
– Practical experience with most if not all components of AWS:
EC2, Beanstalk, ELB, Route53, S3, Cloudfront, SNS, SWF, SQS, RDS,
DynamoDB, ElastiCache, IAM, CloudFormation.
– Familiarity with SOA principles and practice.
– Experience reading, analyzing, and absorbing AWS white papers,
architectural documents, and technical briefs.
– Service rollout plus complete multi-cycle SDLC experience,
using Chef, Puppet, CloudFormation, etc.
– Exposure to AWS auxiliary tools and practices (e.g., Chaos Monkey, Asgard, etc).
– Hands-on experience with monitoring tools, intrusion detection mechanisms,
and vulnerability assessment tools and practices.
– General scripting wizardry.
– Self-motivated team player who demonstrates initiative and flexibility.
– Strong organizational skills, with the ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks.
Additional preferred skills
Beyond the requirements above, the preferred candidate will have:
– Familiarity with iTunes/App Store fundamentals.
– SQL and NoSQL experience.
– Familiarity with JDBC and various flavors of SQL/NoSQL.
– Experience designing solutions for access control, user authentication,
and service security in general.
– Strong verbal and written communication skills.
complex, potentially large
scale, highly available
remember how to configure a GRE Tunnel in Junos
remember which port Kerberos requires
remember how to move a zone file between DNS servers
Self-motivated DevOps Engineer with over 3.8 years of IT experience in Systems Engineering,
Development and Operations. Esteemed to work on Free/Open Source Software.
Technical Skillset Summary
1. System Administration : GNU/Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, CentOS, Redhat and Zentyal)
2. Virtualization and Cloud Services : LXC, KVM, OpenVZ, AWS, Droplets and CPanel.
3. Configuration/Build and Release : Ansible, Make, Projspace, Go(learning), Chef(learning)
4. Programming Languages : Python, Ruby(learning) , Shell Scripting, C, C++ and Java
5. Database and Directory Services : OpenLDAP, Mysql, MariaDB
6. Version Control Systems : GIT, Bazaar, Subversion, GitLab
7. Networking Tools/Services : Nagios, ntop, SSH, DHCP, DNS, FTP, Rsync, Squid, Iptables
8. Web Tools/Technologies : Apache, Nginx, Drupal, Mediawiki, Redmine, Piwik, PhpBB
Now let's assume that you somehow
managed to gain experience with all
of these tools in just over 3.8 years.
Experience with: Nagios, Statsd, Graphite, Logstash,
Elasticsearch, Kibana, collectd.
Loves researching and implementing monitoring
solutions to challenging architectural problems.
4 years of experience programming with Ruby,
Python, AWK, Shell, Batch, VBS, C, C++, C#, Java,
Knows Ruby well but am passionate about learning
new languages on demand. Here's a project I've been
working on: LINK
Managed thousands of servers on 5 different OS
distributions in 3 different Cloud providers.
Worked on a project that aimed to improve
infrastructure management and provisioning on-premise
and in the Cloud. Reduced IaaS Opex by 15%
over 3 months.
There is no talent shortage - Andrew Clay-Shafer -
A Culture of Innovation - Patty Mccord -
DevOps Hiring - Dave Zweiback -
The Puzzle of motivation - Dan Pink -
Stop Hiring DevOps Experts (and start growing them) - Jez Humble
Fast Delivery - Adrian Cockcroft -
Engineering Your culture - Oren Ellenbogen -
Netflix Culture -
Rich Jones - How to hire DevOps -
Tim Lockwood - How to hire a DevOps Engineer -
Volker Will - Do not hire a DevOps Engineer -