National 5 assessment pp
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - National 5 assessment pp
WELCOME to MS CURRAN’S
4 & 5 History4 & 5 History
How will the course be examined?How will the course be examined?
• 80 marks up for grabs:
– Question paper – 60 marks
– Assignment – 20 marks
• The course assessment will be graded
The question paperThe question paper
• The question paper will have three sections:
– Migration and Empire: Scottish (20 marks)
– The Making of Modern Britain : British (20
– The Russian Revolution: European & World (20
• The question paper will be written & marked
by the SQA. You will have 1 hour & 30
minutes to complete all 3 sections.
The Nat 5 AssignmentThe Nat 5 Assignment
• You will choose an appropriate historical
• Collect relevant information from at least
two sources & then use it to address the
• Identify different perspectives & points
• Structure the knowledge acquired &
present a reasoned conclusion which is
supported by evidence. (20 marks)
Migration and EmpireMigration and Empire
• We will study the causes and results of
the movement of population into and away
from Scotland. Specifically:
– Immigration to Scotland, 1830s–1939
• Reasons for immigration of different groups and
patterns of settlement
– Experience of immigrants to Scotland, 1880s–
• The experiences of the migrants - living conditions,
employment. Scots and Irish:
– Scottish emigration, 1830s–1939
– Experience of Scots abroad, 1830s–1939
The Making of Modern Britain,The Making of Modern Britain,
• We will study the creation of modernWe will study the creation of modern
Britain. Specifically:Britain. Specifically:
– The problem of poverty in earlyThe problem of poverty in early
Twentieth Century Britain.Twentieth Century Britain.
• Self help, Booth & Rowntree, changing attitudes
– The Liberal Reforms 1906-14.The Liberal Reforms 1906-14.
• What were the Liberal Reforms? & what impact
did they have on British society.
– The social impact of the Second World
• How were attitudes to poverty altered? What
was the governments reaction = Beveridge & the
– Labour & the welfare state, 1945-51.
• What changes did the Labour government
implement & where they effective in further
solving the problem of poverty.
Red Flag: Lenin and the Russian Revolution,
• We will study the collapse of imperial RussiaWe will study the collapse of imperial Russia
and the rise of communism. Specifically:and the rise of communism. Specifically:
– Imperial RussiaImperial Russia
• The royal family, the church, class division &The royal family, the church, class division &
reasons for unrest.reasons for unrest.
– 1905 Revolution1905 Revolution
• Challenges to the Tsars power.Challenges to the Tsars power.
– The February Revolution, 1917.The February Revolution, 1917.
• Russia & the impact of WWI, Rasputin & theRussia & the impact of WWI, Rasputin & the
revolution itself.revolution itself.
– October Revolution, 1917.October Revolution, 1917.
• The Bolshevik seizure of powerThe Bolshevik seizure of power,, the civil war, & thethe civil war, & the
creation of the Soviet state.creation of the Soviet state.