Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Narritve style's
The Meaning of Narrative
What dose narrative actually mean:
• The way stories are told in the way that they are constructed to
achieve an understanding of the audience.
• To organizes time and space that is in a very compressed form.
•Narrative is to a achieve an interest in who’s being told the story
and in what perspective of that story.
• Over all in film Narrative is shown through elements like
camerawork, Lighting, Sound/Music, Mise-En-Scene and Editing.
Aristotle was a Greek Philosopher who belived that Narrative should have:
He made it clear that the Point of Entry to Middle and Exit should not be muddled but very
clear to understand.
Todoro’s Approach to Narrative
Todorov suggests that all narratives should have everything
These’s are five stages a narrative that Todoro’s uses those
1. The state of good, bad or neutral.
2. An event with a character or action.
3. Protagonist recognizes that the equilibrium has been
4. Protagonist attempts to rectify this in order to restore
5. Equilibrium is restored but, because causal
transformations have occurred, there are difference from
original equilibrium, which establish is as a new
Propp’s Narrative approach
Propp’s thinks that there should be seven roles of a character
may assume in the story and these seven roles are:
1. Villain- Struggles with hero
2. Donor- Prepares and/or provides hero with magical agent
3. Helper- Assists, rescue, solves and/ or transfigures the hero
4. Princess- A sought for person who exists as goal and often
recognizes and marries hero’s.
5. Dispatcher- Sends hero off
6. Hero- Departs on a search reacts to donor and weds at end
7. False Hero- Claims to be the hero, often seeking and reacting
like a real hero
Claude Levi-Strauss’s approach to Narrative
Claude Levi-Strauss approach his narrative as binary
Below are a few of the binary opposites:
•Good vs Evil
•Black vs White
•Bog vs Girl
•Peace vs War
•Civilised vs Savage
•Democracy vs Dictatorship
• East vs West