Preventive dentistry- Operative assignment- Group number 6
Operative assignment number 6 second group.
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Preventive dentistry- Operative assignment- Group number 6
Preclinical Operative Dentistry
Early Caries Detection
Nermin Qurah Mohamad
Presented To: Dr. Mohammad Atef
What is Preventive Dentistry?
• Is a branch of dentistry, deals with the
preservation of healthy teeth and gingiva
and the prevention of dental and oral
• The concept of prevention is the
maintenance of oral health, rather than
treatment, but may be considered as the
basis for treatment planning.
What is Preventive Dentistry?
1- Tooth-brushing 1- Fluoride
2- Flossing 2- Diet
4- Pit and fissure sealants
How to prevent caries?
• Mechanical plaque control is achieved via
tooth brushing, using toothpicks and flossing.
HOW to prevent Caries?!
1- Tooth Brushing
Electric Tooth Brush (Oral B)
• Most technologically advanced toothbrush for
ultimate plaque removal.
• Remove 97% of plaque
• Prevents and reverses
Philips Sonicare - Interproximal Cleaning Device
• New air floss device
• Improve gingival health
• When the button is
pressed, air and liquid
microdroplets pass along
the gum line, thus removing
• LISTERINE Naturals Antiseptic
Mouthwash is a natural
mouthwash that is equally as
effective and safe as Original
• Its ingredients are
sourced from nature
Kills 99.9% of germs
that cause bad breath,
plaque, and gingivitis.
4- Pit & Fissures Sealants
• Ultradent Products
• Innovative syringe and tip delivery system for
fast, simple, and mess-free application
• Ensures an even dose of fluoride to each tooth
• NEW tip is SoftEZ tip
Avoid fiber Allows an
shedding even coat
& tip clogging of varnish
• 3M ESPE
• Contains fluoride, calcium and phosphate;
that are components naturally present in
• It is easy to apply and
aids in the relief of
5- Xylitol Gums
• Prevent binding between sucrose and MS,
since it can’t ferment xylitol
• Improves remineralization and stops dental
• Chewed for 5 to 30 minutes following eating.
• Fluoride can be supplied either topically, or by
- Via gels, varnishes, mouth rinses, dentifrices
and prophy pastes.
- Fluoridated dentifrices aren’t recommended in
small children (<3 years)
• Systemic: Via fluoridated water and by
- Able to reduce 50% of caries amount
- Most commonly used are: sodium fluoride,
hydrofluosilic acid and sodium silicofluoride
- Has a greater effect on smooth enamel
• Flavored, xylitol-sweetened,5 % sodium fluoride
• Provides superior fluoride release and uptake
• Smooth, non-gritty texture
• Has delicious Walterberry flavor
• Either in : or
• Patented adhesion-promoting agent for enhanced retention
• Nearly invisible appearance
Unit-dose Syringe application
• Avoid the ingestion of sugars
Vaccine against Caries
• The Vaccine is derived from flagellin protein (Derived from
salmonella) Anti-caries vaccine
• Agglutination of Ig A
antibodies (produced from
sensitized T and B cells)
secreted from saliva with
oral bacteria. Most effective
with patients having high
concentrations of MS
• SO, it's possible for a substance
in saliva to be triggered, leading to presence of anti
Vaccine Against CARIES!
What Is Caries Detection?!
Caries detection is a task
full of risks which
involves the applying
of diagnostic criteria to
decide at what level is
1- Patient History
One of primary steps to be done for caries diagnosis is
to ask the patient several questions regarding
• Exposure to fluoride
• Habits like smoking or alcohol
• Diet and general health
overview (Hormonal changes,
inherited diseases etc.)
• Previous caries experiences
• Family history
2- Traditional Ways For Caries
• Visual examination
Using a dental mirror
• Tactile examination
Probing through an explorer.
This has been replaced,
since it is vigorous and
might cause cavitation
or it could be mistaken
with a deep fissure.
3- Saliva Test
• CRT bacteria Invoclar
• Test for determining bacterial
counts in saliva and plaque.
• High counts of bacteria
indicate a high caries risk
• CRT bacteria provides information before any
changes in the tooth structure can be detected.
• Introducing adequate counter measures at an early
4- Caries Detection Dye
• Stain the Organic substances as plaque, food debris and
hypomineralized enamel and dentin Full mouth cleaning
is very important before applying the dye
• The dye once in mouth enters the pits and fissure and
proximal spaces, technically it goes places where the probe
can not reach. 75% of occlusal carious lesions missed by
probing were found using CDD
• Digital Radiography
Dark and light bands are visualized on the X-ray
film, where the dark bands represent aries
• Try Air Techniques- ScanX Swift Digital Imaging
• Functions by emitting laser.
• The device emits an
increasing audio tone
and digital readout
Indicating the amount
of caries present.
• It’s used in smooth and pits and fissures areas not
• They are used to monitor the progression of caries
and aid in the decision to prevent, remineralize, or
•Midwest Caries I.D.
• Same as DIAGNOdent, but instead of emitting laser
it emits diode to measure the caries reflection
• Instead of a numerical readout it has a red and
indicator light for caries which makes monitoring
any progression of caries or remineralization more
• The degree of decay is determined by a beep, the
faster the beep the higher the degree.
• It approved for smooth surfaces, pits and fissures,
and interproximal surfaces.
•Canary Dental Caries Detection System
• Uses a low power laser
to scan the tooth for decay.
• The tooth absorbs the
light and two
are seen, the first is the
conversion of light to
luminescence and the
second is the release of
• Measurement of both results of these phenomena gives us
information about the presence and extent of tooth decay below its
• It is used by combining a
camera intraorally through
magnifying with adding
• Causes a 450nm light to
• SOPROLIFE is used for diagnosis and treatment.
• The diagnosis is made by magnifying from 30 to 100
times with white light.
• Caries are seen as red.
•CamX Spectra Caries Detection Aid:
• Caries are seen red
• Does not directly
measure surface caries.
• Detects decay hidden
between the margins
of existing amalgam
• The software shows the pit and fissure areas that
emit fluorescence and quantifies the red and green
components of fluorescence.
• The device was employed using the long-distance
• The analyzed pictures were saved to the connected
computer, and the corresponding fluorescent values
for each site were recorded.
8- Fiber Optic Transillumination (FOTI)
A method in which a visible light is emitted
towards the tooth surface by using an intense
light source.If a shadow is produced, then
carious lesion is present.
• Art & Science of Operative Dentistry-5th