Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Pondicherry,india
Plan and design a slide show about a setting in the film. Include facts, examples and
• The City of Pondicherry in India was founded in 1672 after
the arrival of the French and Dutch.
• Pondicherry is part of the Indian Union Territory of
• There is a heavy French influence on architecture, parks
and other public areas. This is largely due to the fact that
Pondicherry was under French occupation for many years,
before the British arrived and made India a colony.
Pondicherry circa. 1900
French War Memorial
RELATION TO LIFE OF PI
• Pi grew up in Pondicherry. Pi's father owned Pondicherry
Zoo which is a fictional place, although there is a botanical
garden that has many animals.
• In the beginning of the movie and also the book, Pi
explains the French occupation of Pondicherry and
discusses the French influence of architecture.
• Pi attend Pondicherry school (which in real life is called
Aditya VidyashramSchool). The school scene in the film
were filmed here.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT
• Pondicherry has a population of 675
000. Males make up 50% of the
• The literacy rate is 75%, about 1%
higher than the Indian Average.
• 11% of the population is under 6 years
• The most commonly spoken languages
are Tamil, Telugu or Malayaiam.
• There is also a French Community and
number of French Institutions such as
the French Consulate and L'Alliance