Naam affiliate webinar 2014
Webinar for Autism Society affiliates on what's in store for National Autism Awareness Month (NAAM) 2014, what resources are available to use to celebrate NAAM and what activities and actions groups can take to hold NAAM celebrations in their own communities.
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Naam affiliate webinar 2014
Thank you for joining us!
Our webinar will begin momentarily.
For technical support send a chat to “#1 tech support”.
For customer service or to pose a question at any time
during the presentation send a chat to “#2 Sandra”.
Telephone lines will be muted
for the duration of the presentation.
Question and Answers will occur
immediately following the presentation.
While we are waiting for the webinar to
begin – please take a moment to click on
this icon and change your name/ID to first
name_affiliate location (for example
Sandra_national or Marcia_CA)
National Autism Awareness Month
“A Better World for Autism”
Affiliate Leadership Webinar Training
February 25, 2014, 6:30-7:30 pm ET
Ashley Parker is a communications professional
with over six years of experience in public relations,
marketing and external outreach for nonprofit
organizations. Her expertise and passion lies in
human services and education issues. She
previously worked for the Association for Career
and Technical Education and a community-based
autism services provider agency in Rockville, MD,
where she gained significant experience developing
and managing communications strategy on a local
and national scale, media outreach and other
external engagement functions. She has a BA from
Hollins University in Roanoke, Virginia and is a
native of Bradenton, Florida. She is the
communications manager of the Autism Society
and manages all public relations and external
outreach activities for the organization.
National Autism Awareness Month
• 2014 Theme: “A Better World for Autism”
– Improve public’s understanding of valuable
contributions of persons with ASD through their
full community participation in work & living.
– Raise awareness of the need for improved
community response to incidents of wandering
amongst individuals with ASD.
Images, Logos and Style Guide
Logo files & Style Guide
• Logos will be available in .JPG, .GIF and .EPS
• Logo files may NOT be edited or modified
except for resizing.
• Image resizes must be in proportion and be
suitable resolution for the display purposes.
• Any issues with resized images, contact
Style guide & promotion materials
• All NAAM materials should have NAAM logo
placed prominently on page with Autism
Society contact information (website link, 1800 #).
• Affiliates can co-brand NAAM materials with
their own logo on promotion materials
• NAAM materials for use post-April, contact
What can I use to celebrate?
• Toolkit for affiliates
Sample press release
Sample list of activity ideas
Sample web & social copy
Logos and images for NAAM
What’s Happening National Calendar
Three tip sheets
• Community inclusion
Social & online resources for
• NAAM Pinterest Board
• NAAM discussion group on LinkedIn with
themes and content relating to goals.
• Twitter chats
• NAAM National Calendar
• Autism Society blog
• YouTube channel, NAAM playlist
Narratives one-pager, share “star” stories with
national, develop local pitches.
• Wandering 101
• Addressing Wandering
• Community Inclusion
Use your own content!
• Local stories and examples that fit theme and
• State fact sheets and stats if you have them.
• Add your quotes and experts to press
Activities for NAAM
• National Activities
– Partner promotions and opportunities
– Social media calendar
Twitter chats- scheduled
Google Hangout- scheduled
YouTube call for videos- ongoing
Facebook call for photos- ongoing
Pinterest board- ongoing
What can you do during NAAM in
• State activities examples sheet
– Open house event
– “Make a Better World for Autism” dinners, coffee
hours, cocktail hours, etc.
– Grocery store tabletops
– Business partnerships
– Partner with another group!
• Utilize your spaces! Bulletin boards, churches,
offices, schools (check restrictions).
• Host your own social media events!
– Twitter chat
– Google hangout
– Make a youtube video
• Autism Month proclamation
– City, local
• Invite leaders to your events!
• Call-in/write-in to local officials
• Share national advocacy actions with
• Highlight partnerships where proceeds go
back to Autism Society or your affiliate’s
• Do not SPAM!
• Obtain written agreements with partners prior
to promotion of product, service or group.
• Keep in mind Autism Society’s options policy,
Fundraising during NAAM
• Great time to highlight local services!
• Use events and fundraising activities as
dissemination point for NAAM information.
• Utilize logo or NAAM colors (ribbon colors)
during event, for event materials, etc. where
Media Outreach: Getting the News
• Utilize sample press release, customize with
your event information.
• Invite local media to an activity.
• Call main offices and ask for appropriate
• Education, health reporters are targets.
• Highlight your partners and membership,
storytelling in line with theme.
Getting the News Out: Images
Obtain permissions from minors/families
Flickr public photo set
– Check resolution!
Getting the News Out: Media
• Great time to contact your local media
networks and introduce self, affiliate work.
• For specific assistance, contact
• Reach out via social media! Muckrack.com,
websites for newspapers usually link to email
or social profiles.
Telling the World!
• Facebook, Twitter, Social Media
• Submitting an op-ed to local newspaper.
• Contacting school districts, local partner
groups to share messages, materials.
• Word of Mouth! Still powerful!
• Share with national your stories and activities!
Deadlines, Timelines, Oh my!
• Begin marketing/promotion NAAM on
March 1. Early bird catches the worm!
• No more than TWO WEEKS lead time
for reporters, media contacts.
• Contact your partners NOW!
• Follow the countdown! Check for
updates from us.
Thank you for participating!
Join us on
That’s a wrap!