Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Kinesics
Study Of Body Language
What Is Kinesics ?• Kinesics Is The Name Given To
Study Of body’s Physical
• Kinesics Is Considered To Be ‘an
intelligent way of
• The study of The way in Which
certain body movements and
gestures serve as a form of non
– verbal communication.
• Body movements and Gestures
regarded as a form of non-
Kinesics includes the
• The final area of Kinesics is appearance.
• Appearance includes clothes, hair , jewelry, cosmetics and such.it
accents our body movements and how we are perceived.
• Appearance tells others how we want to be seen. How we practice
the “ rules ” of the game in an organization.
• If you changed your appearance drastically-from formal to informal ,
for example-how would others respond?
• When do you give your appearance special attention ? These
occasions tell you about the importance of appearance.
• Most people indicate they are not influenced by another’s physical
appearance , but apparently they are.
• Expect your appearance to a part of the messages you communicate,
and should plan your appearance so that it will effectively
communicate to others.
Posture• Body shape and posture are a part of kinesics . Body shape
and posture affect how we think about ourselves , how we
relate to other , and how others relate to us even though body
shape is mostly hereditary and largely uncontrollable .
• When we encounter an unfamiliar situation , we become
more aware of body shape and posture-interview or a formal
• Posture is part of any relationship , regardless of your degree
of awareness . Whether you lean forward/backward , stand or
sit erectly , or slouch , you tell another person something .
• The others mental filter gives meaning to your posture .
• The eyes are considered to be the windows of the soul. You
look to the eyes of a speaker to help find out the truthfulness
of his speech , his intelligence , attitudes , and feelings. Eye
contact is a direct and powerful form of non-verbal
Effective use of Facial Expression
• If you smile regularly you will be perceived as more likable , friendly , warm
• Smiling is often contagious and students will react favorably and learn more.
• Facial expression also play an important role in presentation . The
face is the most expressive part of our body . A smile stands for
friendliness , a frown for discontent , raised eyebrows for disbelief ,
tightened jaw muscles for antagonism , etc.
• Proxemics is a type of non verbal communication.
• It is the study of how we communicate with the space around
• It involves how we arrange personal space and what we
arrange in it.
• Definition : “The interrelated observations and
theories of man’s use of space as a specialized
elaboration of culture.”
• - Edward T . Hall,
• The cultural anthropologist who coined the term in
1963 , emphasized the impact of Proxemics behavior on
1. The study of spatial distances between individuals in
different cultures and situations.
Intimate distance for embracing , touching or
close phase – less than 6 inches (15 cm)
Far phase – 6 to 18 inches (15 to 46 cm)
2. personal distance for inactions among good friends
of family members
close phase – 1.5 to 2.5 feet (46 to 76 cm)
far phase – 2.5 to 4 feet (76 to 120 cm)
3. social distance for interactions among
close phase -4 to 7 feet (1.2 to 2.1 m)
far phase –7to 12feet (2.1to 3.7m)
4. public distance used for public speaking
close phase – 12 to 25 feet (3.7 to 7.6 m)
far phase – 25 feet (7.6 m ) or more.
• Ways that we use our time communicate
information about ourselves and our
• Interest & affection
• Power & status
• Can indicate other messages- appropriate
times for phone calls (Call at 2 a.m. usually
• Our society values time highly; we as
Americans have an emphasis on watching
the clock and doing things on time- varies
from culture to culture
•Paralinguistics features are non-
verbal vocal cues that heip you to give
urgency to your voice. Your voice is
your trademark, it is that part of
yourself that adds human touch to
Below mentioned points can be
considered as characteristics of
Volume is the loudness or the softness of
Pitch refers to the number of
vibrations per second of your voice.